Kingsford in NYC Event (3/12) w/ Brethren

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
OK Guys... here's the long awaited details..

(see post #2 for Brethren related news)

http://www.kingsford.com/pdf/getgrilling.pdf

KINGSFORD® CHARCOAL CELEBRATES EARLY START OF DAYLIGHT-SAVING TIME WITH MANHATTAN CHARCOAL GRILLING CELEBRATION
First-Ever "Spring Forward, Get Grilling" Event Invites New Yorkers to Slow Down and Grill

What: On March 12, the day after the new daylight-saving time begins, Kingsford® Charcoal is welcoming an earlier grilling season with "Spring Forward, Get Grilling" – a dawn-to-dusk cook-out to encourage New Yorkers to slow down and experience the fun of charcoal grilling, a great way to spend quality time with family and friends.

Grilling enthusiasts, families and foodies are invited to attend charcoal grilling and barbecue smoking demonstrations by champion pitmaster Chris Lilly, barbecue expert Rick Rodgers, and Latin grilling authority Aaron Sanchez. Attendees can sample championship barbecue and participate in charcoal grilling lessons all day long.

For every person who pledges to eat dinner with their family just one more time per week, the makers of Kingsford® charcoal, KC Masterpiece® barbecue sauce, and Hidden Valley® dressings and sauces will donate $50 (maximum $25,000) to The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University (CASA) the creators of Family Day –
A Day to Eat Dinner with Your Children.™

Event admission and activities are free.

Where: Madison Square Park (Flatiron District, between 23rd and 26th Streets and Fifth and Madison Avenues)

When: Monday, March 12, 2007 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., EDT

Who: An estimated 10,000 New Yorkers, hosted by:

- Four-time Memphis in May champion Chris Lilly
- Grilling expert/author of the "Kingsford Complete Grilling Cookbook," Rick Rodgers
- Manhattan restaurateur and Latin grilling authority, Aaron Sanchez

Last edited:
The Good news related to the Brethren - This all started with Kevin (voodoobbqil) inquiring with our own Jay (spicewine) to see if he was Jay was interested in having one of his custom Spicewine smokers be part of this event that Chris Lilly (4x MIM World Champ) is actively involved in coordinating & hosting and Kevin involved in the event production. Chris was interested in seeing a Spicewine when he heard about them.

Longer story short - The custom Spicewine Jay just built for me will be one of three smokers used for the event. Cooking alongside Chris Lilly and his cooker (Jedmaster ??), for the BBQ portion of the event, will be myself on the Spicewine as another Brethren addition - Phil, our Grand Poobah (BBQchef33) who will be cooking on one of his Klose pits with Chris Lilly and I.

Final details are coming in, but the menu for the cooking demo sessions etc. are not finalized yet. Jay shipped my Spicewine to Chicago and will be sent to NY for the event. Phil and I will need to get his unit and trailer down there on Sunday afternoon for set up and event layout. Our "call time" is very early Monday morning well before the 7AM start time to get the pits going and be ready for the day.

So, Spicewine will get exposure as the media and public will be there, and the Brethren will be represented as Phil and I will get to bust our arses along with the World Champ Chris Lilly etc while Kevin (VoodoobbqIl) does a stellar job of pulling this whole event together behind the scenes...

Good stuff.

Last edited:
That is totally unreal! Fantastic! WOW! Yahooo!!!! Go Brethren!

Congrats!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

4.gif
3.gif
5.gif

I heard that they were going to make you wear their T-Shirts to promote the event ( Note to Phil --T- Shirt will probably have sleeves) I am so THRILLED!!
2 Brethren on Prime Time!!!!

Have a great time!! I think the World of you Fellows!!

Hope the SpiceBox makes it there in one piece!!

Vinny: You are Truely Blessed

Spice

spicewine said:
I heard that they were going to make you wear their T-Shirts to promote the event ( Note to Phil --T- Shirt will probably have sleeves) I am so THRILLED!!
2 Brethren on Prime Time!!!!

Have a great time!! I think the World of you Fellows!!

Hope the SpiceBox makes it there in one piece!!

Vinny: You are Truely Blessed

Spice

I think will appear like this:

Last edited:
BBQchef33 said:
thats udderly repulsive

Wow, that joke was cheesey. (yes, I'm going to milk these puns for all their worth)

I'm gonna try to stop by and say hi. Anyone know if there is decent parking nearby?

Eric

Wow that is so awesome guys, is anyone taping this event???? I would love to borrow a copy?? TOO COOL!!

I'm so happy to just be around such royalty. Smoke on brothers and congrads.

Vinny, so now it's you and Phil. Congrats! That's great!

I'll have to try and get my butt out of bed and on to the train early that morning so I can stop by on my way to the office.

Sounds cool. See if you and Phil can get his top secret butt injection recipe.:wink:

I hope to be able to stop by on the way home from Jersey City to show some support and say hello. I will be wearing my Brethren T-shirt.

Les

This sounds really great. If I can get out of the office I will try to stop by for a while.

Have a great time boys.

Vinny,

If you need some help, I will probably be available. PM me if interested. If not, I still might head in anyway to check it out!

Hello all,

to answer some of the questions.

Taping the event? We will have the Today show and a Food Network Chef (I cannot tell you who) there at some point. All of the local networks and print medias will be there. WE Will post approved pics from the event on the Brethren site.

The units we will be using are Kingsford Kettle Grills, The Medium Sized Spicewine (Vinny's new smoker), Phil's Klose BYC, and a new Jedmaster that Chris Lilly had secured.

We have 3 chef's form Kingsford university, Chris Lilly, Rick Rodgers, and Aaron Sanchez. Of course Phil and Vinny will be tending their pits. If I have time I will be helping as needed.

Please feel free to stop by see us. We are setting up on Sunday so we will be there all day as well.

If you have any specific event questions feel free to PM me.

Sounds great, everyone! Eric, there is an outdoor parking lot on 22nd Street between 5th & 6th Avenues (a block from the park).

I'll definitely come by a few times throughout the day. You cooks can also feel free to call me if you need to use a phone, bathroom, etc. As I mentioned before, my office is half a block from you.

thanks, we have a motorcoach parked on Madison near our production. hope to see you out there.

K

Back