cow's head on a UDS.....

I went into a cool Mexican meat market a couple weeks back looking for beef cheeks. Around here, if you want to order beef cheek tacos at a mex food place you ask for tacos with cabeza. They didnt understand a word of English at the meat market so I asked for beef cabeza.... you are cooking what they brought out for me. Price would have been about $30 if I had bought it...

Good luck!

This is something I would love to try! Any idea if it could be done on a Weber kettle? Of course, I'd first have to find a head. Hum, would it work with a deer head, I have a lot of trouble keeping my dogs away from the does in the back yard. Just kidding.

I am curious about the eye balls, how they do when smoked for such a long time, and how they are eaten. Pictures please, not only from the finished head, but also from the eating.

cows eyeballs

you get them out of the orbit, take the lens (the dark spot) out, and mince the rest, full of great gelatinous, stuff

They are so rich that most people mix them with the minced tongue and cheeck tacos.

JV

you get them out of the orbit, take the lens (the dark spot) out, and mince the rest, full of great gelatinous, stuff

They are so rich that most people mix them with the minced tongue and cheeck tacos.

JV

Oh yeah.........good stuff! They are very similiar in taste and texture to marrow.
That is one big challenge you are taking on. We do goat/lamb heads in the UDS or kettles and those little suckers take quite a while to cook. BEst bet is to start off with high heat and keep it there for a good while. You need to get the inner parts, tongue, brain(cavity) up to temp as fast as possible so they don't stay in the danger zone too long. I'll be tuned in!:thumb:

Last edited:
cows eyeballs

Bob Brisket;

Thanks for coming to the rescue, I understand that most people haven't been exposed to "barbacoa en pozo"

But eventhough, I don't care for brains, (never developed the taste for the bland and pasty stuff), when it comes to the eye, you took the words from my mouth, -marrow-, but I would call it "marrow on steroids" when it comes to flavor.

JV

Bob Brisket;

Thanks for coming to the rescue, I understand that most people haven't been exposed to "barbacoa en pozo"

But eventhough, I don't care for brains, (never developed the taste for the bland and pasty stuff), when it comes to the eye, you took the words from my mouth, -marrow-, but I would call it "marrow on steroids" when it comes to flavor.

JV

There are some threads on the forum about that type of cooking. Funny, I had posted some youtube links in this thread and kinda of took it off topic, but there are some awesome vids that showcase this type of cooking. Looking at em took ME WAY back in time. Brought back some strong memories of my grandfather. I was pretty much always there with him from the beginning when we made barbacoa, from the slaughter to the plate so to speak. He brought the tradition and knowledge with him from Mexico and showed it to his kids and grandkids. Seems that only my dad and I have kept it going. There are some good vids here. This is old school. Cooks like this involved ENTIRE communities. Shows the culture and the origins too.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRPqALy4jwU"]Barbacoa de pozo en El Tular de Rayones NL - YouTube[/ame]

The brains we treat like scrammbled eggs. Mix with some meat kinda like a machaca and then some pico de gallo. Good stuff! I love seeing this type of cooking being done and kept alive. :thumb:
The "pencas de maguey" they talk about are basically agave cactus. The goat cook in the thread was a 24 hour cook time. That is one SERIOUS pit. I've never seen one that big!

That first pic is quite the pic. I think my guests would make a run for the door if they saw that on the counter. Cant wait for the finished product. I have heard it tastes great.

Well after the 17 hr 30 min. mark, the internal temp. on the brains, tongue and cheek are 190 so I closed off the vents and gonna pull it from pit once it reaches 195 (just to be on the safe side)....it looks and smells DELICIOUS....dinner is gonna be AWESOME.....:thumb::thumb::thumb::heh::heh: will post more pics when I'm pulling the meat from the head.....stay tuned and let me know what you think.....

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

OH YEAH!!!!! Looks done! Pass me a tortilla and the salsa. Man, you done good!
That gets hit several times on a Sunday!:grin:

Bob

Thats looking good now. When you prep it do you cut a hole for the brains or just shake it out when done?

If one can be 'squeamish', I'm the one over here in the corner 'squeaming'.

I'm a wuss with any kind of organ meat.

That said, my very favorite cut of beef is the shank.

I'm starting to think that the barbacoa that you get at Chipotle is not authentic. :wink:

I was willing to try it until I started to hear eyes and brain... City boy!@ I don't know...

Thats looking good now. When you prep it do you cut a hole for the brains or just shake it out when done?

When I prepped it, I did not cut a hole for the brains as this was my first time to cook the entire head..it is resting now and I will figure out how to get the brains out while I'm tearing the meat from the head...:heh::thumb:..stay tuned..the warden will take pics:grin::grin::grin:

The barbacoa at chipotle is most likely made of beef clod. Which is very good on it's own, but not the same as whole beef head barbacoa. A different texture. The real deal is like eating beef flavored butter.

Once or twice a year, I'll get a chipotle barbacoa burrito with no ill effects, but I don't miss them once they are gone.

Down here, there are many authentic Mexican food trucks that serve up all the real deal stuff from lengua to barbacoa and everything inbetween. It's a rush eating the real deal that's been properly prepared.

Back