Sauce

volfan411

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been wanting to try this sauce recipe I found and it calls for liquid smoke. Can I leave out the liquid smoke and put sauce on smoker to take on smoke flavor?

Here is recipe:
Sweet and Tangy Memphis Style BBQ Sauce – (From Divine Dinner Party)

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs liquid smoke
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs chili powder
1 tbs ground black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp red pepper flake
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp salt
Combine all of the ingredients into a non-reactive sauce pan. Whisk together so that there are no lumps.

That looks like a great recipe. I've been looking for something new to try at my house and will try this.

Yeh Ron it was rather blunt. IMHO any sauce or rub that has more than 4 or5 ingredients in it is not worthy. Each ingredient should be recognizable and complement all the others. The finished product should complement the finished meat. This is not to be a 'cover up' for another problem in technique or poor quality. There are certainly many different tastes just as there are lots of cover ups on the shelves. My 0.02.

The "cover up" business is in the billions of dollars annually....

I tried this one this weekend, it is Walter Jetton's recipe which I suspect may already be on the site.

1 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon American chili powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 bay leaves
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons chopped onion
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
Dash of black pepper

Bring it to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes. Strain it and serve.

I have to say that when sampling prior, it was not something I thought was going to work. Seemed to vinegary. But I dipped a slice of brisket in it and it was spot on!

Very complimentary to beef and easy to make.

Last edited:
I'd add a little melted bacon fat instead of LS. That's the kind of thing old timers used to do. They would use drippings from the meat they cooked in their sauces for a hint of smokiness.

I disagree the human palette has the ability to detect the meld and complexity of many different ingredients. Depending on your goal you can have a complicated sauce that stimulates the palette and complements the meat well without "covering it up"

Yeh Ron it was rather blunt. IMHO any sauce or rub that has more than 4 or5 ingredients in it is not worthy. Each ingredient should be recognizable and complement all the others. The finished product should complement the finished meat. This is not to be a 'cover up' for another problem in technique or poor quality. There are certainly many different tastes just as there are lots of cover ups on the shelves. My 0.02.

If you want your sauce to taste like ketchup, brown sugar or molasses, or vinegar then go with the advice above. Who knows, this may be the results that you are looking for.

I love experimenting with flavor to see what it does to the meat. I love coca-cola sauces, vinegar sauces, white sauces, etc. Have fun and experiment!

Thanks guys! I have been looking for something sweet and tangy and this one sounds like a good place to start.

Contrary to popular opinion, liquid smoke is not of the devil! :mrgreen:
It is used as a flavor component, especially in sauces. Not all sauces go on "bbq". You can add/remove any item you wish but then it's not the recipe you started with.

I had a case once where a friend asked for the recipe for my grilling sauce and I gave it to him with all components! (Didn't pull an Aunt Bea and leave one out!).
He tried it the next weekend and told me it didn't taste the same.
When I reviewed the recipe he told me he'd replaced the white pepper with black pepperr...well, duh, it wasn't the same since the white pepper is one of the necessary flavor components for that particular sauce.
Anyway, good luck and as always: YMMV!

I disagree the human palette has the ability to detect the meld and complexity of many different ingredients. Depending on your goal you can have a complicated sauce that stimulates the palette and complements the meat well without "covering it up"

I am with you man who came up with you can only have 4 or 5 ingredients in you sauce or it sucks. Seems kind of ridiculous to me:confused: I guess mine sucks then:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Contrary to popular opinion, liquid smoke is not of the devil! :mrgreen:
It is used as a flavor component, especially in sauces. Not all sauces go on "bbq". You can add/remove any item you wish but then it's not the recipe you started with.

I had a case once where a friend asked for the recipe for my grilling sauce and I gave it to him with all components! (Didn't pull an Aunt Bea and leave one out!).
He tried it the next weekend and told me it didn't taste the same.
When I reviewed the recipe he told me he'd replaced the white pepper with black pepperr...well, duh, it wasn't the same since the white pepper is one of the necessary flavor components for that particular sauce.
Anyway, good luck and as always: YMMV!

I am not opposed to using liquid smoke I just did not want to use it and put sauce on smoker and get it over smoked. I will probably adjust the sauce to my taste anyways so this recipe would just be a starting point.

Liquid smoke is beyond awful. If you must add smoke flavor, try smoked paprika.

Guys this sauce turned out FANTASTIC and I have not even put it on smoker yet. It has 3 distinct flavor profiles firts you get the bite of the vinegar, then the sweetness of sugar and ketchup and then as is goes down the heat from the pepper.

Back