Nana's zoogu (my rough spelling of sauce)

garyk1398

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This was in memory of my Nana who came from Sicily and tought me here recipe. It was almost as good as hers.:wink:

Last edited:
Sure looks good. Gonna give us any hints as to what is in it? :biggrin:
I'll do it cause you are my extented familia.:wink: It's traditional Sicilian sauce or southern Italian. Basically more sweeter (sugar) than most people like; tomato paste, baking soda to lower the acid level, garlic, onion, basil, oregano, bay leaves (later removed).

The meat balls sure look good, are they all beef or a combo beef and pork? The sauce looks really smooth and good

Thanks for sharing.

The baking soda is a good idea I have never heard of. Thanks. My sauce is very similar except I add olive oil too. Did you actually put sugar in there?

The meat balls sure look good, are they all beef or a combo beef and pork? The sauce looks really smooth and good
sorry i spaced on them...50/50 mild italian and beef, fresh parsley, shredded garlic and breadcrumbs, S&P.

Thanks for sharing.

The baking soda is a good idea I have never heard of. Thanks. My sauce is very similar except I add olive oil too. Did you actually put sugar in there?
evoo the onions first and get them opacque, get the H20 and paste boiling then add the soda, turn it down add the rest of the stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

You are probably right she was in her late 80's (back in the mid 70's), didn't speak a lick of english and her daughters did all the translation so that must be it. Thanks

Sounds great! I'll have to give that a try on our next noodle night.

Back