Ash wood for smoking

boberosabbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We just had a huge ash tree fall in our woods (it actually hit the cabin but its okay, with the special boberosa contruction its still standing just missing some shingles and it has a hole that needs patched in the roof). I can only think of one way to celebrate, use the wood to smoke up something for a cabin still standing party. Anyone ever use ash?

A variety of sources on the Internet indicate that all the woods listed below are suitable for smoking most any type of meat, poultry, or fish. The most popular and widely available smoke woods are oak, hickory, mesquite, pecan, apple, cherry, and alder.

Generally speaking, you want to use only hardwoods from fruit-bearing or nut-bearing trees. In my experience, fruit woods tend to impart a lighter smoke flavor, while the nut woods produce a stronger smoke flavor. If I could choose only one smoke wood, it would be apple, which seems to complement most everything I barbecue.

acacia
alder
almond
apple
apricot
ash
bay
beech
birch
butternut
cherry
chestnut
cottonwood
crabapple
fig
grapefruit
grapevine
guava
hackberry
hickory
kiawe
lemon
lilac
madrone
manzanita
maple
mesquite
mulberry
nectarine
oak
olive
orange
peach
pear
pecan
persimmon
pimento
plum
walnut
willow

I knew it was okay to smoke with, just never used. Has anyone used it? Liked or disliked?

I don't know what kind of ash that you have. All we have around here is black ash and the occasional ornamental mountain ash. I've never tried
to burn mountain ash, but I've used black extensively.......for furnace wood...great for that. I wouldn't smoke with it though...the smoke is very acrid. It might work to make your own lump with it, as all the impurities
are burned off, but to cook with wood, hoo, boy! If you burn it inside regularly, the house takes from spring to fall to stop stinking, and then it's
time to start over. That's just from the little smoke that escapes from
opening the firedoor!

Save some for some base ball bats and baskets. That's all I've ever used ash for. I'll have to try some in the smoker is I can get some again.

I have a pretty good supply of ash and I love it. I personally think it works best with brisket and other beef items. It burns up pretty fast so make sure you have plenty before you do an extended cook with it. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Interesting, I never would have thought of using Ash wood to smoke meat with. Dang, I love this place. I learn something new every day and I'm getting better at typing in the dark.:roll::biggrin:

I'll start cutting it up for summer time smokin :-D. I got a big ole hickory to work on too. Gotta love having 50 acres of your own woods.

Back