• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any reason KCBS doesn't use 1/2 pt. scores

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
I was reading the KCBS site and noticed they once again mentioned new score sheets to be tested to help with consistency in judging etc. which is a good idea...

but it made me think about why KCBS does not allow for 1/2 pt. increments in the scoring system ?

Anyone have some historical perspective to share ? Am I correct that FBA uses 1/2 pts ?

Looking at it from a judges perspective, I would prefer to have the option to better distinguish between a 6 or 7, 7 or 8, 8 or 9.... Each entry should still be judged on it's own merits, but allows for more crtique in a way... or maybe not...:confused:

Thoughts ?

I do have some historical perspective. A few years back KCBS realized they had too many perfect scores and one of the ideas was decimals, either tenths or halves. I was a fan of using tenths.
The KCBS board member who was perceived as the computer guru was a dos guy and said we couldn't do it. The rest of the board was pretty much computer illiterate and believed him. The solution was the current start at 6 and at the time it was 5 is average and it's just never been fixed since. In defense of the current board, you can't change the system every year. Once you make a decision like that you have to ride it out for a while. I got on the board right after this and a year later that board member was gone but the damage was done. I believe that one of these days we will use decimals but it will be another rocky change.

On Edit:
I should add that the current board is much more enlightened about what can be done and there are plenty of computer savvy directors these days. 4 years is an eternity in the world of computer/software awareness, so the bullchit we had back then in no way reflects what is happening these days.

Last edited:
Ray, great info there. Thanks! I wasn't aware of all that. DOS??? There's something I haven't heard about in awhile! I agree with you that someday we probably will use decimals. Not sure tenths would be the way to go. Maybe quarters would be better. But I can also see it being a necessity down the road.

Thanks Ray !! I figured you'd be the right person to provide some history here..

Hopefully the BOD will get to this sooner that later.. tenths, quarters or halves are all better than just whole #'s IMO...

I have woindered about half scores myself. Seems there are a lot of ties in comp. Thanks Ray, maybe one day you will be the one to change the system!! haha

I have woindered about half scores myself. Seems there are a lot of ties in comp. Thanks Ray, maybe one day you will be the one to change the system!! haha

I took my lumps on that board and I'm done for now. It was not much fun but we got a few things done. The huge growth of KCBS is very tough to manage. Once Minion gets it all fixed maybe I'll do it again.

And remember, we are only adding word descriptions to the numbers for now. This is not a new computer nor a new scoring system.

And what's more, I only know how to count on my fingers and toes... how would I count a half point?

Let us know what you think as you judge or compete in a contest with these slips and cooks/judges cards. Like most things, I am certain some will be fans and some will detest the idea. We will see where it all settles in our evaluation. But what is most important, is that we are trying to listen to the members of KCBS. Naturally all things take time and some things come before their time. But this is a good beginning.
Yours,
Merl

Back