? For those with Butchers Injection and Prime Dust experience

DBH

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can't believe this has not been discussed, but I cannot seem to find reference.

I recently used Butchers Injection on a brisket and found it to be very salty. Not necessarily blaming the injection as it is most likely the amount I injected and/or the amount of rub. Common sense tells me to dilute the injection 50% just to see what happens. The kicker is that I want to try Prime Dust also.

How would you dilute this solution?
1) Mix the Prime Dust full strength and add half as much Butchers Injection?
2) Mix the Prime Dust half strength (double recommended water) and add recommended Butchers Injection?

1) Half the amount of Butchers Injection to full strength Prime Dust.
2) Half the amount of Butchers Injection to half strength Prime Dust.

Prime dust is basically powdered bone marrow.

I've started to use Butchers Prime Injection which has Prime Dust and Injection already mixed and is good for 2 briskets. It calls for 2 cups of water but I go 2 1/2 because it is a little thick for the injectors I use. I also add a few things to the mix for flavor. To me a brisket needs some saltiness, otherwise it tastes bland.

What rub are you using? if its home made try cutting some salt out of that

Prime dust is basically powdered bone marrow.

I've started to use Butchers Prime Injection which has Prime Dust and Injection already mixed and is good for 2 briskets. It calls for 2 cups of water but I go 2 1/2 because it is a little thick for the injectors I use. I also add a few things to the mix for flavor. To me a brisket needs some saltiness, otherwise it tastes bland.

What rub are you using? if its home made try cutting some salt out of that

I already have the injection, so I just picked up some prime dust to give a try. I'm sure I will try the prime injection also.

The rub was Bovine Bold.

Totally agree brisket need a salt taste, but my combination was overload.

if i recall i used @ 75% injection and @ 50% prime dust of the recommeded amounts.

I always use 50% of the called for injection with full water and 50% of the called for Prime Dust with full water. Then mix them together with 1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon of Dale's Steak Marinade. Never too salty for me, and always happy with the end result.

And how were the results?

good. :becky:

that ratio was the result of numerous tests with different strengths. at those levels, i can be a bit strong still for home use. that was a comp recipe, i should add.

i would prolly reduce the amounts a bit more or go nekkid for a home cook.

Back