• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need help with tough ribeyes

SmokingJo

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought some ribeyes, each 1 pound and half, 2 inches thick, grilled 2 of them middle rare and found that they are tough. I don't know why, perhaps they were not aged at all, I don't know.

What can I do with the other ribeyes I have in the fridge? Can I smoke them and pul them like a chuckie?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Gianni

Marinate in EVOO, minced garlic, worchestershire, and some soy sauce for 12 hrs. Tenderizes tough steaks that I use in kabobs.

Ron's suggestion of salting is the easiest.
For a fail safe way you can sous vide it at 130F for say 6-8 hours then heavily sear.
If you do not have equipment you maybe able to improvise. You will need an oven, warming draw or other devise that you can set @ 130F. If you do put steak & splash of olive oil (or preferred oil) into a ziplock bag. Partly submerge bag in water to displace all air & seal. Fill the biggest pot you can fit in oven with the hottest water out of tap. Place in sealed steak weighed down if necessary. Put pot into oven. Leave for 8 hours. Check temperature and adjust if water not holding 130F. Good luck.

Give us some more details on these ribeyes. I find it painful to even think of purchasing ribeyes that were no good grilled.

Are they select, choice, prime, old, wet-aged, dry-aged yadda yadda?

I'd like some more info to be able to try and help a bit more hopefully.

24 ounce ribeyes should be a serious treat.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I am in italy, unfortunately we don't have meat classification here. When you buy meat, all you can have is the name of the cut, but nothing more. Aging?....only from very few butchers....

It would be nice to see a pic of one of these ribeyes uncooked so we can see what exactly you've got.

happened to me couple of times, especially when you get the smaller cut. the problem is the central part is not well-marbeled, so it dries out very quickly. to make it tender, do like we do in hawaii, soak em in shoyu, mirin, ginger, garlic and onion to make beef teriyaki. the ginger has an enzyme that will make it tender without being mush.

Definately go with Ron_L article. I started to do this when he posted it a few months ago- comes out awesome I do this every time I cook a steak now

Slice thin grill on a Flat top add peppers & onions a little Italian bread some cheese whiz and you got philly cheese steaks.

Cheez Whiz? I thought you LIKED beef...

Good article Ron. I hadn't seen that before, but I HAVE been "air drying" my steaks in the fridge by dusting with salt and black pepper for a couple days before grilling, turning occasionally on the plate. Works like a charm.

We normally would marinade them in tomato juice and Worcestershire for a few hours.

I put on the steak rub (got it from a local BBQ supply store) that is mostly salt at least a half hour or more prior to putting it on the BGE. I'll have to try drying it off though as I just assumed the moisture helped sear the steak better.

Back