• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I can't get wood! This has never happened to me before...

Supes

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I'm going to cook my first meal on the UDS this weekend. For the past few years, it's been fairly easy to pick up wood chippings for a BBQ but for some reason I can't seem to find any in the UK this year.

What should I do?

1) Just go with briquettes and forget about wood
2) Add some lumpwood to the brickets
3) Chop up some branches straight from my apple or cherry tree and use the green wood

I'm reading conflicting information about green apple/cherry wood. Some people say it's ok some people say it'll leave the meat bitter. What do you guys reckon?

You should cut down your neighbors tree before your own, don't you think?
:grin:

I know a pro in S. Carolina who uses green oak all the time.

:mod::laugh:
OK Arlin, settle down. First it was the sausage thread and now this one too?:tsk:

To the OP, I've no experience using green wood but the more moisture the wood contains would increase the creosote produced which is not a good thing. Any woods nearby that might have some branches that fell off and be seasoned by now? Either way, I'd go with lump.

Could it be an age problem? The older i get the harder it is for me to get wood as well :becky:

I definitely wouldn't use green wood in a drum type smoker. If lump or briquettes are all you can find then try to find some made mostly of the wood you usually use.

It'll still be tasty that way. However if you use green wood you run a serious risk of being an unhappy camper.

Also....dang it's tough to beat you guys to the punch. I was all ready to tell him it happens to a lot of guys and not to be so upset.:heh:

They make a pill for that.

Buuut seriously, If you do go the green wood route, shave the bark off the pieces and preheat them. You can remove a lot of the moisture and watch the color of the smoke. Acrid smoke means creosote.

Stateside, the big box stores like Lowe's or Home Depot carry chunks (hickory, apple, oak, cherry etc.) in 10lb bags for usually around $8. The chunks are mostly tennis ball sized, and 4 or 5 of them would be great mixed with lump charcoal in your UDS.

Thanks guys. This is my first time so I think it's just nerves...

I've just put an order in for some chunks of cherry and hickory on eBay. If it doesn't show up by Friday, I'm going to climb my gnarly apple tree looking for dead branches.

Plan C will be to just add some chumps of lumbwood to my briquettes.

Back