Cabelas BBQ Competition inquiry

cmohr74

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was contacted over the weekend by Cabelas in Hoffman Estates, IL. I helped Rub of Swamp Boys BBQ organize a class at this location. They were so amazed at the attraction it brought and the people inquiring about what was going on that they now have great interest in getting into the competition BBQ world. The event planner called me and asked if I could see if anyone had interest in a backyard competition of Ribs and Chicken that ties into their outdoor days. The weekend is August 17th and 18th, but there is no guarantee of which day, just trying to get interest feedback and they will select a day. There will be gift cards to Cabelas as prizes plus a trophy. If this goes well, the event planner told me they would push for a full sanctioned KCBS event next year. Similar to KCBS, no electric cooker requirement, but pellet cookers and power draft would be allowed. Power will not be supplied as of yet. I do not work for Cabelas at all, she just called me because she didn't know where else to start to inquire about interest. If this does go well, it would be nice to know that there could be another possible KCBS santioned event that could spread to other Cabelas.

Hmmmm...

Hey, dmprantz, where you at? You've always wondered why I would speculate that other big-time retailers would get into competition BBQ....

Other Cabela's have had events with mixed results. She may want to contact the store in Hamburg, PA for some advice, insight. They have had a couple.

No Cabelas here but we did a grilling contest at Bass Pro Shops last year and they loved it. They want us back this year. We scheduled it at the same time as one of their events so there was a big turnout. Grilling contests are a great way to introduce new teams to BBQ contests.

Other Cabela's have had events with mixed results. She may want to contact the store in Hamburg, PA for some advice, insight. They have had a couple.

We did this one in Hamburg in 2011, our very first competition.

It was a great event, and drew a good bit of spectators....however it was never continued as the organizer (a local BBQ joint) went out of business.

Would love to see another MABA sanctioned contest there one day!

We're going to be away for the week before that weekend so it's unlikely that we will be able to make it. If it end up being on Sunday that may be possible but don't count on us.

But... I can most likely judge, and depending on the day, Amy may be able to judge, too.

We are doing contest the two following weekends so it might be tough to get away with. But ya never know............

A Cabelas series would be great, especially since one is going to open in Christiana, DE in 2014........

I'd love to say yes, but Kenosha the following week and my wife already hates me.... Maybe we will be divorced by then.

Back