• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

MeatThermometer

Outboard Racer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Newbie needs advice on buying a meat thermometer. I been looking at the Maverick ET73 but as a newbie I need your expertise as I dont know what to get or what brand is a good one.

Thanks,
Todd

I would look into the Maverick et732 therm. The 732 has a pit probe and a meat probe. I've had mine for about a year now and haven't had any problems with it. Just make sure you check the probes for accuracy every now and then in boling water or ice water.

You're about to have 10 people tell you to get the et 732 instead of the 73, and you should listen to those people.

YES. Get the 732 it will save you a lot of money, headaches, and money in the long run. I have had the 732 for about a year or so and have had no problems. I never had the 73 but I hear this model had a lot of issues and those issues were more or less resolved with the 732.

I have nothing to compare it to, but I love my 732. I was always running out to my smoker, which is outside the lowest level of my split level walk-out basement house. Now, I can sit on the couch and check my pit temp. I almost would have paid double the price for it.

Thermometer

Thanks everyone. I ordered 2 sets of the 732 for both my barrells and also a thermopen.

What a great site filled with wonderful advice and help.

Thanks again,
Todd

Thanks everyone. I ordered 2 sets of the 732 for both my barrells and also a thermopen.

What a great site filled with wonderful advice and help.

Thanks again,
Todd

Good decision. The 732 and Thermapens have two different purposes in my eyes

Mounting

Well you can really tell Im a newbie but was wondering how to mount to the barrel, and location on the barrel. Looking at grate level or maybe a bit higher or would the vent holes on the lid be better.

Thanks for all your help you guys and gals make this a lot easier to build with all your help from all the post I have been reading.

Todd

Looking at grate level or maybe a bit higher or would the vent holes on the lid be better.

I'd put it through the exhaust hole- I have no idea what your setup is like, but thats what I do on my kettle. Putting the probe through and then putting the lid on can damage the probes.

I use the exhaust holes for my probes as well. I have been intending to drill a hole through the side of my UDS and install a grommet or bushing of somesort (there are a few cool setups on this site) but have not really needed it yet.

Don't run your wires under the lid. You run the chance of pinching them and damaging them.

Probes

Thanks for the replys. I use both the flat lid and a weber dome lid. I went overboard and added a rotisserie to one of the barrels lol. Will try to get some pictures up soon of both builds.

Todd

Back