Rub Ribs the Night Before?

I used to rub the night before but found no advantage other than saving time on the day of the smoke. I now rub about 3-4 hours before the cook.

The only downside is if the rub has a high amount of salt. It'll start to cure the pork, then you're eating ham ribs instead of pork ribs. I always rub as the cooker is coming up to temp.

Lots of folks will put a coat of rub on, let it sweat for 20-30 minutes, apply another coat of rub and let that sweat into meat. Bark tends to develop better when done like this. Plus you can use different spices/ rub mixes for depth of flavor.

I get the pit started and then do my prep, by the time I have the prep done the pit is up to temp. I used to rub the night before and I saw no advantage to it. I do every cut the same.

I get the pit started and then do my prep, by the time I have the prep done the pit is up to temp. I used to rub the night before and I saw no advantage to it. I do every cut the same.

Ditto mod

I remove the membrane the night before, apply rub to both sides, then wrap, and refridgerate all night in a cooler. I get them out early the next morning as the pit is coming up to temp. Then, 3-1.5-1 and serve up some great ribs. :eusa_clap

No way! 30 minutes to an hour at most before going on the smoker. I've cooked ribs every way 'till Sunday and 30 to 60 minutes before going on the smoker is the way to go.

Would there be any benefit flavorwise if you rubbed the night before with something minus salt then a second coat while coming up to temp the next day. Just thinkin outloud.

I tried rubbing them down the night before, but the ribs were a little salty.
(Maybe I could have used a low salt rub, but I get a better smoke ring with a rub that contains salt.)
It's (Salt) just bad for us folks the Doctors say have high Cholesterol...
Now... I rub them down when I fire up my smoker.
Gives me something to do while the pit is coming up to temp.

I tried it once with Plowboys Yardbird, and they were all kinds of hammy tasting. That was the last time. I still love Yardbird, I just don't rub them the night before.

You do have to be careful with ribs because of the surface area (rub) to meat ratio. And typically ribs take half the amount of time of larger cuts, which means you start later in the day, which means the rub has been on much longer.

I use to put the rub on the night before but now put it on 1 hour before i put them on. The rub doesn't seem to soak in as much and is more prominent in the finished product.

Back