THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Largo was Fun

Had a good time in Key Largo

Yes that is the Atlantic Ocean in the back ground.
The water was less than 50 yards away.

Yes Tim always looks that grumpy.
left-right Tim, Doug, Jimmy, Dave

Phil cooked for us Friday night using the Dave's rig...great food...

Attachments

• Key Largo Cook Site.jpg
    Key Largo Cook Site.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Tim, Doug, Jimmy, Dave.jpg
    Tim, Doug, Jimmy, Dave.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 74
  • Prime Rib.jpg
    Prime Rib.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 106
drbbq said:
Oh yeah, that prime rib was goood! It was about my third dinner that night, but I couldn't pass it up.

Hehehe, guess who's got the leftover prime rib in the fridge?! :twisted: It's going to be the guest of honor at dinner tonight! I did let Tim take a piece home, too, so I'm guessing there'll be rejoicing in N. FL tonight, too. :biggrin:

You know Phil has shown up at a cookoff when you take home almost as much raw food as you brought! I brough home sausange patties, two fatties (cooked and not touched), Johnsonville breakfast links, a rather interesting pork chop/pork loin combo (may get cooked this weekend), etc. etc. etc. We tried to convince Phil to take some back to NY but figured his suitcase would leak!! :biggrin: Phil even stocked up his Mom's BBQ supply with ribs and chicken - I had the Kingfisher running most of the late afternoon and night on Friday. We consumed: cheesy bread, sausage stuffed bacon wrapped peppers, bacon wrapped sausage (also know as heart attack on a plate!), biscuits, the prime rib, some of Tim's "killer beans", and who knows how much other stuff. And remember, THIS WAS FRIDAY!! :twisted:

Bill & Nina (Bill & the Dixie Chicks) picked up GC at this thing and they flat put the hurt on everyone. Firehouse picked up Reserve and did a great job. There was about a 15 point spread between GC and Reserve, and then 14 points between Resever and us -- then about 10 points amongst the spread for the remaining top 10. Good overall scoring and a definitive will for Bill and Nina.

A lot of the teams were very consistent - when they announced each catagory it sounded like they were reading from the same list each time.:-D We are very pleased that we walked due to our ribs and brisket.

Great venue, great competion, great weather, and superb organization made the Great Key Largo BBQ Championship a success.

chad said:
Bill & Nina (Bill & the Dixie Chicks) picked up GC at this thing and they flat put the hurt on everyone. Firehouse picked up Reserve and did a great job. There was about a 15 point spread between GC and Reserve, and then 14 points between Resever and us -- then about 10 points amongst the spread for the remaining top 10. Good overall scoring and a definitive will for Bill and Nina.

Bill, Nina & friends celebrating a decisive win! Congrats

Attachments

• Bill  Dixie Chicks.jpg
    Bill Dixie Chicks.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 65
Bill and Nina are in the black shirts!

I saw Bill Sunday morning as we were packing up - he was walking SLOWLY around with his coffee cup. I congratulated him again and he said something along the line of "yeah, it was a pretty good weekend!" (Bill is a master of understatement!).:rolleyes: He also said he'd quit drinking about 6 months ago but decided to have "one" Saturday night...he then said that Sunday morning was reminding him why he quit!! :twisted:

Next year More Brother's will have to attend this florida cook off. sounds like it was way fun. congrats to all

I am home- finally. Tired.

Jimmy, I am not GRUMPY
icon_evil.gif
(at least not all of the time)
icon_biggrin.gif

I was, and still am, in shock.
BTW----Y'all should know that Jimmy is one of the "funniest" human beings on this earth--so yeah, I guess he would consider me 'grumpy" by comparison
icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif

So much stuff came together for Dave and me this weekend.
Lots of lessons learned (thank you Ray) and some of those thoughts will be sorted out and posted later. I want all of us to learn from the experience, but it will take a bit to post it.

Our team goal now is "consistancy" and "fine tuning" the product.
We dropped the ball on our chicken (our best meat normally), we have "not a clue" on our pork, we actually cooked "competetion level" ribs for once, and our brisket rocked (and it was not an accident--good training by Ray and Myron Mixon was the key there).

By getting back to the basics on some stuff, we finally have some "kinda" validated confidence in our ability for the first time since we started.

Chad and Jimmy said it earlier--great event, great times, and we will do it again if we can.

Also, the point spread from us at 3rd to 10th was only 10 points or so (working from memory here), That is a "fly speck" on a judges score sheet and I actually consider the finishing order to be random and a matter of luck (not that I won't accept it). But nothing decisive other than the point spread for Bill and Nina as Grand and Firehouse as Reserve--they dominated and had their act together--Great Job
icon_biggrin.gif

More later when I gather my thoughts and catch up on 93 (!) posts!

TIM

Last edited:
brdbbq said:
How they catch him not talking ?

I couldn’t believe you said that!!!!
So, I went back to the page and looked at the picture again…..and I swear I saw he’s mouth move.:biggrin::wink:

Congrats again guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!