Standing Rib Roast - 4 bone, 10 1/2 lb, loin end (a.k.a. small end or first cut) WOW!

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here she is fresh out of the butcher's wrap.

RibRoast01.jpg

If fat = flavor, then this one's going to have plenty of flavor!

RibRoast02.jpg

I made a simple rub:
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion

RibRoast03.jpg

I gave all sides a medium coating and let it sit for about 45 minutes on the counter to come up in temperature a bit

RibRoast04.jpg

It went into the Stumps Baby cruising at 225

RibRoast05.jpg
RibRoast06.jpg

Four hours and fifteen minutes later (about 25 minutes a pound) and the internal temp hit 118. At this point, I took it out, wrapped in foil and a couple of towels and let carry over cooking brings the IT up to about 125. This is where you can make some adjustment in serving time. It will hold wrapped in a cooler for an hour or so if necessary before the next step.

RibRoast08.jpg

I brought the Stumps up to 450 degrees, and exactly one hour before entree time, I put the roast back into the cooker for exactly fifteen minutes. This is to get a little more Maillard Reaction (browning), for the people who like the end cuts. Now, I rested the roast for a second time for thirty minutes, wrapped in foil and covered with a couple of dish towels. Here's what it looked like, all done and ready for slicing.

RibRoast09.jpg

I separated the bones,

RibRoast10.jpg

sliced it 1/2 in thick and served it to rave reviews all around. :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

RibRoast11.jpg

Awesome! My taste buds just went on strike. I need that! BTW that is a wicked looking blade you got there. What is it?

Gorgeous as always! The meat, the block, the knife - all of it! :clap2:

Mine came out looking similar, and tasted amazing. I ground up montreal steak seasoning in a coffee grinder and making a paste with OO. Any special trick to taking the bones out, we struggled with that a little yesterday.

Mine came out looking similar, and tasted amazing. I ground up montreal steak seasoning in a coffee grinder and making a paste with OO. Any special trick to taking the bones out, we struggled with that a little yesterday.

It starts with a very sharp knife and a steady hand, and it also helps to have an insulated glove on your non cutting hand. I stand the roast on the end of the bones (bones vertical) and slice down, almost but not all the way through. Then I roll the roast over on its side and finish the cut. Then I cut off the pointed piece of fat before slicing. I'm sure there are other ways, but that's the way I do it.

Back