Any KCBS judges ... would you judge my turn in boxes

P

patkline9999

Going to FIRST comp next week and been practicing! Here are this weekends Pork and Chicken turn in boxes. I would appreciate any judges gimme a score on these.
First we have the Butt.
I only cooked one butt so I had to choose from what I had available.

IMG_5923.jpg

here's the chicken
IMG_5927.jpg

Many thanks for any and all comments and suggestions.

i'm seeing some green on some of the pork and that is a turn-off. some of the pork looks dry. a little sauce may help the appearance.

tighten up the garnish on the chicken (and pork for that matter). i like my chicken with a little more "red" in the color, but it doesn't look too bad as far as color is concerned.

Your chicken looks pretty good. Trim them a little more consistently would be my only recommendation. The pork needs some work. Funky colored meat needs to be dealt with. Also as a judge I would look at this box as having two types of turn in and it doesn't look like there are six samples of both types. Could just be the picture. Chicken a 7 and pork a generous 6. keith

Not a judge, but that one piece of pork might still have some of the membrane that separates the muscles attached. I think that shiny silverskin combined with the camera flash might be causing it to pick up the green color from the parsley.

I can't help thinking that if the meat was green in person, that our brother would notice.

That may also be the cause of the brown color on the chicken. Red + Green = Brown. I might be totally wrong just a thought.

Chick - Some odd bumps on three pcs. Trim better. Add greens to back half of bow to match front. Good color overall. Solid 8
Pork - Same problem with greens. Barked pcs look good but I would make two halves, barked and pulled. All that chunk on the left could be pulled into a smaller shreds to get rid of the ungainly look of just big 'ol odd sized pcs. As it is, low 7, shredded pry solid 8.
Ed

Pork- low 7. Even out the bark pieces more, all are on the right side. Silver skin on the upper left piece, is that a fatty piece bottom middle?

Chicken - 8. Looks pretty good, maybe could be a little more uniform, looks a little dark but could be the picture.

I can't help thinking that if the meat was green in person, that our brother would notice.

That may also be the cause of the brown color on the chicken. Red + Green = Brown. I might be totally wrong just a thought.
Good point

Chix - 7, maybe an 8; I like to see more red and evenness of color...and evenness of pieces selected (regarding physical shape). Some entries are *perfect* and they get the 9s for it.

Pork - 6: The bark is *black*, there's green on it, one piece looks brown (like the skin of a chicken), and (not that it matters because it's a meat contest, but I thought you should know) that your garnish is messy and too spacious.

You're doing well for your first comp. Chicken looks good, pork looks a little dry - fill up that box.

I'd probably be nice and give your pork a 6. The color is off and the pieces are odd. Try pulling smaller (more like a large "shred") and including bark as smaller bits (only if it has great flavor, of course). You can improve color (and flavor if you are careful) by fine-grinding good rub and sprinkling very lightly after the pork is in the box.

I'd give your chicken a 7. Trim needs a bit more uniformity and the color could improve. Chain restaurant research has revealed that moving toward red improves sales and acceptance and judges aren't immune to this. Sheen (usually done with a little oil in the sauce) will also help appearance.

Chicken, 8 but low. I'm not a uniformity hound like some. The color is a bit browner than I'd expect. Could be the pic/flash. Also I thought the amount of "shine" was nice and more natural than the oiled finish (I guess Hub and I disagree).

Pork, 6. The bark is overly-dark. The pieces are fairly large, but I wouldn't shred them. About 1/2 that size (larger holds moisture better). Pieces about the size of your thumb (give or take) tend to do better. More pork in the box (darn near fill it).
You've accented the bark in the pic by putting much of it bark-side up. Most judges want/like bark, but I wouldn't emphasize it. All dark up ends up looking burned. On its side with a little bark showing is preferable.

Chicken has great color. I little more consistent trimming and you are good to go. I give it an 8.
Pork: I actually think you are likely to see a lot of 5s on something like this. Due to grey membrane, dry look to other pieces, and an overall lack of meat, just a lot of room for improvement here. Carefully peel the membrane off the pieces that have it. If you can't get it off, don't use it. Some sauce, and more meat, more meat. THink about some pulled in there as a bed for the chunks.

Brett

7 or 8 and a 9

Nice Boxes...
As a CBJ, I'd like to see the pork have a little more gloss and uniformity. As it stands, it's a 7 or 8.

The chicken I'd score 9. Very nice job!

I think that shiny silverskin combined with the camera flash might be causing it to pick up the green color from the parsley.

Pork 7. I to think some has to do with picture, but above comment is corrent. I like a nice chunk rather then the "cat food" pulled. I have a much better chance of judging texture with a nice chunk...So as you can see by different comments, CBJ's are different.

Chicken 8. Good looking box.

If the color is accurate then the pork gets a 4, maybe a 3 - greenish meat isn't appealing and I'd hesitate to put that in my mouth. If the color is off I'd go a 5, box looks tossed together, the pulled meat looks dry and the bark looks black.

Chicken is an 8. Trim a little better and even up the greens for a 9.

Excellent comments from the folks here -

Are you injecting the pork? That kind of off color is a problem when using an injection that contains something like soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

Overall, I like the chicken - but don't be afraid to trim it more. Even off the ends so that your thigh meat looks like a perfect rectangle when you're finished. That way you don't have 'bumpy bits' on the ends. You can trim the meat even with the ends of the bone.

I used to hesitate to trim it too much - but now I whack away! :)

I would try leaf lettuce - using only the darkest green pieces so that the color of the meat is set off nicely.

Hope this helps -

pork generous 6...pieces don't look that appetizing, and a little dry...try pulling the membrane off of the pork before going in the box and a little sauce wouldn't hurt the presentation...

chicken solid 7, but with better trim work could be a strong 8... not too fond of the darker color, but still looks appetizing...keep working hard at it though..you'll get it!!! :thumb:

Back