Today's experiment: A different style.

PhilB

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well, here's the problem: It's a beautiful day here in British Columbia. I also happen to ride a motorcycle when I can. It's the first beautiful day in quite a while.

What's the problem you say? I'm on my last semester of an Bachelor's of Science (Computing Science) and I'm taking 4 upper division CS classes. I have one midterm, three assignments, and a project all due this week. Riding is not an option.

Solution: Some Q. Can't go anywhere, gotta make sure everything is under control in the WSM-like.

Here's another wrench in the spokes: I'm doing Atkins. No sugar. This means I have to try a different rub. So, I'm trying this one:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=619765&postcount=15

Also made my first fatty last time, and this time, I'm doing it with a bacon weave. We'll see how it all turns out!

Also going to try a "dry" style rib, and I'm just leaving it alone (no mop, no foil, just smoke and heat) until it's done!

I assumed the recipe called for table salt, and I use kosher salt, so I multiplied by 1.5 as per Meathead's site, which means I used 1/2 cup of salt. Hopefully, it doesn't end up too salty.

That brings up another interesting question. When looking at fatties here (before they are cooked), the sausage meat (Jimmy Dean's, I presume) looks pink. I got some Maple Leaf last time, and thought it was waaaay too fatty. The stuff looked almost all white.

I got a different brand this time, and same thing. If it still tastes way too fatty, I'm switching to the Johnsonville italian sausage next time, as I can see that stuff in the package at least and see there's some meat in there!

I sometimes buy bulk sausage from butcher, which I can see in the tray.

I grind up a pork butt to make my own sausage, there are plenty of recipes around here.

Mr. PhilB, I like to buy my sausage from a deli. then I know what i'm getting every time.

But it sounds like you have everything under control.

Yeah, will definitely find a better source than this crap. Also, we're about 2:15 in or so, and I just had the flap. It was delicious.

I also need to find a source for pork butt, now that I think about it. Need to find a real butcher.

Fatty's done:

DSC00677small.JPG

DSC00678small.JPG

The ribs:

DSC00679small.JPG

DSC00680small.JPG

Noticed, they "sweated". This is just rub, no mop, no foil, no spritz, no butter, no anything but just meat, rub, smoke, and heat.

My impression: I really like the bark. I may just stop foiling altogether. I never did it a lot (never for more than an hour), but this bark is beautiful, and I love the texture. Not sure how much the rub has to do with it.

This rub is a little too salty for me, so I'll probably cut down on the salt proportion for the next batch. Besides that, I like it. A pleasant change from the usual KC style sweet rib.

Looks great Phil. Are you in Ketosis? If so, are you measuring your Ketones? I'm not doing a Ketogenic diet, but I'm in deep purple ketosis for most of the day as a function of a significant calorie deficit. Four More weeks and then I'm going to be responsible for the massacre of a lot of pigs.

Sorry to divert from the topic but it sort of plays in. :D

Heh, yeah, according to the ketostix, I've been in ketosis for about two weeks now, sometimes more than others.

They're not that accurate, apparently, specially if you work out (you sweat out ketones).

Yeah, I've been in Ketosis for about 5 weeks now. I've come out a couple of times and I feel terrible, so I'd rather be in. Because I'm not doing the Ketogenic thing, I tend to go deep purple after I exercise. I hover between "trace" and "moderate" before I exercise.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. Nice ribs! :D

Back