• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sauce or not to sauce

quarters69

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wanted to get every ones opinion on sauce. Do you sauce or do you just let meat soak in own juice and turn it in like that??:boxing:

For my own personal preferance go with a light layer of sauce - a real thick coating makes me wonder what you're covering up. Also, if there's so much sauce that I can't taste the meat how am I to score "taste"? At home I serve everything either "dry" or very lightly sauced.

Chicken & ribs = Sauced
Brisket = own juices

We always prefer it without sauce, and never won anything.

We've only starting winning since we started putting sauce on. We brush on a light layer.

You are in KCBS country--so I don't know how our local (SE) situation translates for you.

Sauce is used on everything except brisket in most cases.

Even brisket shows up with some LIGHT sauce on occasion, but normally very subtle.

In all cases, the judges seem to be turned off by any sauce that masks the meat flavor.

Sweet seems to rule for Chicken, Ribs, and Pork.
But I am seeing a shift to savory--can't prove it though.

Just FWIW from down here.

TIM

On the brisket then do you just brush on some the juice from the brisket, or slice and serve?? I usually slice and serve with a very light sauce for a little extra kick, but not to take away from the good rub on it:becky:

If that question is for me...

We use a "fat seperator" and use the juices on the slices and chunks.

Keep in mind that we do not exactly dominate the brisket catagory :redface:

TIM

Tim, i was thinking about trying to slice it and then let it steam in the juice for awile. i have never done it before but thinking it might work to get the juice and seasoning on the entire peice of meat. We have been only turning in slices:wink: Our last brisket we made was the tenderess we ever made, but just did not have good taste all the way threw:heh:

Tim, i was thinking about trying to slice it and then let it steam in the juice for awile. i have never done it before but thinking it might work to get the juice and seasoning on the entire peice of meat. We have been only turning in slices:wink: Our last brisket we made was the tenderess we ever made, but just did not have good taste all the way threw:heh:

With the disclaimer I posted above---that is basically what we do.

Good Luck.

TIM

Heavy sauce on chicken and ribs.
Light sauce on pork.
No sauce on brisket.
For brisket, I separate the oil from the cooking juices, then dunk each slice and shake a little spice on the back for some kick.

That's how I do it.

thillin have you had good luck with that, what kind of scores

thillin have you had good luck with that, what kind of scores

First place out of 49 last month. Slices only. Beat 2nd place by 5 points with a 170.8. That was my first KCBS. In IBCA, I've been hitting top 10 or final table all year.
Took me a year to get it down. And lots of practice. :thumb:

Lets have some more opinions guys and gals

Variables like sanctioning body and region come in to play. KCBS around here should be sauced, but lightly. MBN, light sauce on ribs and nothing else sauced. I imagine there
are other regions that go completely without sauce (Memphis for example) and other areas that if it's not heavily sauced it's not BBQ...

sauce on everything but the brisket I soak mine in the au jois and turn in slices only.. I didnt sauce my pork this weeklend and wish I had of!

I think majority of the post cover majority of what judges are looking for. I haven't judged a ton of contest, but just after each round at every contest it seems like everyone talks about what ones they liked and didn't like. Almost every good score has a light sauce on ribs, chicken, and pork, and no sauce on brisket. I do however prefer if brisket is soaked in au jus or has a very light sprinkle of rub on it. I think the best way to handle brisket is to take it off slice it, add a small amount of light rub and then allow it to stand for at least 5 minutes. It seems to enhances the flavor profile and makes the meat flavor really open up your taste buds. I give far too many 7's in brisket because it's "bland".

Back