Fresh Dove

Chef Country

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Yesterday was opening day for dove season here in Kansas, so last night around 6 pm my brother in law, father, and I went and set down by the pond, they all complained because i sat on the point about 15 yards from the bare ground where they all wanted to land, I shot 10:cool:, my brother in law shot 8:shocked:, and my dad shot 2:laugh:. Looks like I will be making some Jd marinade, and stoping by the store to get some bacon to wrap the brest in. Im somking some ribs sunday and going to throw the dove on also, im sure we will have some more befor then, hopefuly the rain stays away so they will fly into the pond. Now im ready for deer season to start at the end of sept.

Sounds like you had a good time! Dove hunting is always on my list every year when the itch hits and the days start to cool. How do you prepare them and cook them on your smoker?

Congratulations on the good hunt! Season started yesterday here too. I didn't get to go but hope to today. :-D

Nice work! :eusa_clap

Upland game bird opened here yesterday too! Not much for dove around here but the grouse sure is good eats! Plan to whack a few this weekend! :thumb:

Love me some dove. We stuff em just like you would an ABT. Outstanding, except for when you bite into a piece of shot. Wife broke a tooth last year doing that!

I'm going this weekend. I usually just seperate the breast then add a slice of jalapeno, onion and cheese in between then wrap in bacon. Sprinkle your favorite rub on and cook them indirect until done. It's alot of work but its all good and part of dove hunting. :cool: I'm a one box of shells to one dove kind of guy.

We would hunt with about fifteen guys in AZ on the Colorado River. At the end of the day we would make a gigantic pot of dove stew. Just awesome.

Well had another good day my first shot was a 2fer shot at the front one went to shoot the back and it fell too, I ended up with 11 and we had 19 all together, gonna let the pond out back cool off for the weekend but i got some other spots to hit. I make jack Daniels marinade and de bone the Brest and let them soak over night then i wrap in bacon, place on smoker till done we shall have a good feast Sunday with at least 49 dove and a rack of ribs, means my sister wont eat wild game if she knows what it is :heh: told her pheasant was chicken once it was good till she asked what everyone was laughing about

Love it:clap2:, been too long since I been out. thanks for posting, would love to see some pics when you cook em.:pray:

Nice work! :eusa_clap

Upland game bird opened here yesterday too! Not much for dove around here but the grouse sure is good eats! Plan to whack a few this weekend! :thumb:

Went out yesterday (grouse opening), was raining hard at times and when the sun did come out... It was not long enough for the grouse to start moving aroung. Oh well maybe next week... We do love grouse!!! :thumb:

Where do you go KnucklHed for your grouse? If you don't mind me asking. I promise I wont tell a soul :tape:

Went out yesterday (grouse opening), was raining hard at times and when the sun did come out... It was not long enough for the grouse to start moving aroung. Oh well maybe next week... We do love grouse!!! :thumb:

Where do you go KnucklHed for your grouse? If you don't mind me asking. I promise I wont tell a soul :tape:

Ummm... my back yard??? :lie::lie::lie::lie:

Oh alright... Star meadows has been kind to us, last year opening day shot 8 - found 7... usually only hunt there once a year so there are more for next year. Really though (just like anything else around here) it seems like the few years old burned places are pretty good... that and grouse are just plain dumb... :rolleyes: Ended up whackin one with a .22 pistol last year about 5 feet away after spending 5 min trying to get him to fly!

I killed 14 yesterday with a 35 shell limit 1 shy of my daily limit(state draw). I'd also like the JD marinade I you'd like to share.

Back