Brisket-separating point/flat uncooked

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A friend gave me a choice whole brisket from Restaurant Depot. I'd like to seperate the point from the flat and just smoke the flat. Plan to grind point into burgers. I know that a whole one , when smoked is easy to seperate as there is a line of fat between the two. Just looking at it in the cyrovac, I'm kinda lost. Any links to a pictorial??? Any probs with using point for burger?

Albeit a great tutorial on brisket I missed the part about taking the point off and turning it into hamburger meat. Seriously, I did.

One tip on separating the point from the flat. Take a knife... insert it SIDEWAYS near the middle of the fat vein... it will naturally go through the other side if you cooked it right without piercing the membrane. Then run the knife DULL SIDE one way and it will HAVE to follow the looser fat to the taper point (which is where you see chris enter). Then flip the knife so the dull side goes the other way... to the point blunt end. It will also naturally avoid the meat and separate through the jelly like fat vien then STOP. From here I usually unfold it and handle the piece then.

Back