The $32 Dollar Steak - Pron

• Thread starter barbefunkoramaque
  • Start date
I indeed have not said why the reduction of moisture is more in a dry aged chunk of premium beef than wet aged.

Maybe my assumptions are wrong. That my concept of wet aging beef is the same as yours. Mine includes letting the meat sit in the fridge in the vac sealed pouch and letting the enzymes do their work (albeit slower) over a period not to exceed 30 or more days, right?

"Dry and wet aging both result in a similar degree of palatability of rib and loin steaks; however, there can be distinct flavor differences. Meat from vacuum-aged cuts has a more bloody/serumy and metallic flavor, whereas, meat from dry-aging has a more brown-roasted beefy flavor."

Did you notice the conclusion that most of the tenderizing process occurs within 7 - 10 days of death!!!!????? Thats a reality bomb. I did not know that until now..... Now furthermore, I and another brethren concentrated (pun sort of intended) on taste, which is mostly from the reduction of moisture Inside the meat.

Ohh what a Tangled web we weave....

So at 1st you agree(or I thought you did) that aging is the reduction of moisture in the meat, but then you say that in wet aging there is no loss of moisture, most perplexing!

From the University of Minnesota Extension..."Cooked, unaged beef has been described as "metallic" and lacking in typical beef flavor. Aging gives beef a flavor that has been described as "gamy." True beef flavor is fully developed after about 11 days of aging. The aged beef flavor increases with increasing aging time."...Not that wet aging gives this metalic flavor, cooked, unaged beef, my friend.

I will say I do not wet age in the original cryo-vac pacage. I will cut the roast, usually a 2 inch lip on into individual steaks and the reseal with my Foodsaver. I will not complete evacuate all the air, leaving space for the moisture to leave the meat. I have aged this way up to six weeks, making sure it stays between 35-38*'s. There is a huge amount of liquid when I am finally ready to serve!

Enough, I have been beaten like usual...I am going to my room with a big bag of Cheetos, watch the History Channel and feel sorry for myself!

Now on to some important stuff! I tire of all these lame recipes I get from the internet telling me how to make Texas Hot Links, they blow...make yourself useful and send me a real recipe I can use!

Can you help a brother out?

You know elgin is packaging up their links for HEB

And once again, aging is a two part process, tenderness and taste but the processes which cause a change in each are unrelated (one being drying, the other enzume).

Now to the final point. If I say wet aging is inferior to the dry aging as far as taste, and Iowa says it AND your own info basically says that the taste comes from the meat and the blood before its put in the package, and another states that when it is tasted comeing from the package it also says that it has that same characteristic in taste....then can you now add 2 and 2 and get four.... which means that the process of taking meat from the carcass and placing it an vac pack (while it may not stop the initial tenderizing in that 7 to 10 day period) DEFINATELY PRESERVES THE WAY THE MEAT TASTED IN THE DAMN FIRST PLACE, IE, BLOODY AND METALLIC, then is it not safe to say that you are doing ZILCH for the aging process of taste profiles?

In fact, taking it out of the package and re vaccing it with maybe a little air (which is not really vac of course but I see what your doing) There still, once the dripping subsides, is NOWHERE for the liquid to go, which is not the same concept with dry aging as the meat is place on a rack for it to drain. It cannot evaporate in a bag.

"persons not familiar with dry aged beef often describe it as slightly "musty" in flavor when eaten for the first time."

University of Minnesota Extension

I like that...

You should of read further... it supports your point on both counts... that there is less waste, less moisture loss and a study showed that more people prefered the flavor of the bag aged beef.

Of Course... LOL this is Minnesota, which I will gladly go to to tell me how to be funky, and about Scandinavian humor. Hey, but that ain't lake minnetonka.

Back