Imitation...it allows you to look like you know what you're doing...

brog315

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did my first documented cook yesterday. I'm just getting started in the world of low and slow BBQ. I love that techniques, ideas, and information are readily available on this forum site. I'm already addicted and planning a pit build!

For the chicken, the pan on the left were prepped competition style. After taking me insanely too long, and wanting to get to bed, the second package did not recieve the same treatment. I think it's obvious which ones those were.

Feedback and criticism are welcomed...

Attachments

• Pit - 1(forum).jpg
    Pit - 1(forum).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Chicken - 1(forum).jpg
    Chicken - 1(forum).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Pit - 2(forum).jpg
    Pit - 2(forum).jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Chicken - 2(forum).jpg
    Chicken - 2(forum).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Chicken - 3(forum).jpg
    Chicken - 3(forum).jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 242
  • Finished - 1(forum).jpg
    Finished - 1(forum).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Finished - 2(forum).jpg
    Finished - 2(forum).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Finished - 3(forum).jpg
    Finished - 3(forum).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Finished - 4(forum).jpg
    Finished - 4(forum).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Wow! That's a bunch of food. Looks like you went all out.

Nice! :thumb: What kind of equipment are you working with?

Thank you everyone for the compliments!

Nice! :thumb: What kind of equipment are you working with?

Just a cheap offset...charbroil offset smoker. With the help of the forum and the internet, I did several recommended modifications before getting it dirty with Que. 1/4" steel baffle and tuning plates show to keep even heat across the pit. And angle aluminum screwed to all sides of the lid help to create a nice seal. It sure does run through charcoal though!
The second grill that I put the chicken on is a Masterbuilt 7 in 1 unit. Works well for the limited space at my apartment.

My only questions are: are you kidding me? just getting started? how big is your family?
That...is how you get started people!

Nice work, keep the pron coming!

Looks like you dove in head first! Nice work!

My only questions are: are you kidding me? just getting started? how big is your family?
That...is how you get started people!

Nice work, keep the pron coming!

Lol, yes, i'm just getting started. I've spent enough hours lurking and learning to feel like I've been at it for a little while, but it's a whole different story and more rewarding to fire up the pit and get at it yourself. My family is pretty big although we only had about 15 of us eating yesterday. I wanted to cook both loin back and spares though. And I've realized quickly that leftover BBQ for the week is not a bad thing!

That's one heckuva fine lookin' spread there!

Great lookin stuff! I also started out with a cheap Char Broil offset, and dove in head first, but I didn't read up on anything and produced horrible food the first several tries!

Nice job!

Back