Church Fundraiser question

I HIGHLY discourage offering two meats, unless you are okay with: 1. having lots of leftovers, 2. running out of the meat someone wanted and may have made a special trip for, 3. More work, 4. Higher costs. 5. Something else I'm sure I'm forgetting.

The only way I see you avoiding numbers 1 and 2 above is if you are selling advanced tickets, so you know exactly how much of what to buy.

God grant the person making the decisions clarity and wisdom! God bless your endeavor!

Thanks guys. Y'alls thoughts are the same as mine. I told her if we're offering two meats we're going short ourselves in profit margin, we're going to have to offer enough of each meat to feed everyone (for reasons y'all stated). But I'm not going to push it. I was only asked to smoke pulled pork. So that's what I'm going to do. Some folks have to learn the hard way.

I hold BBQ fundraisers at my parents church about every three months. I always do pulled pork and pulled chicken (did some chopped brisket for the last two as well). The pulled chicken always sells first. Easy and cheap to make. Anyway, good luck.

I hold BBQ fundraisers at my parents church about every three months. I always do pulled pork and pulled chicken (did some chopped brisket for the last two as well). The pulled chicken always sells first. Easy and cheap to make. Anyway, good luck.

Did you prepare enough of each to feed everyone?

I did (it's a small church though). A lot of the sales is people buying meat by the pound to go. I get to the church early and fill up a good number of to go containers and stick them in the fridge. I also cooked a couple racks of spares for the last one just to see if people would like. They sold out first.

I did (it's a small church though). A lot of the sales is people buying meat by the pound to go. I get to the church early and fill up a good number of to go containers and stick them in the fridge. I also cooked a couple racks of spares for the last one just to see if people would like. They sold out first.

Our issue is we're going to be serving 200 people. I'm afraid that cooking 100 chicken quarters and enough pp for 100 is going to potentially put us in a bind. I know that when people see they have options many are going to want BOTH a piece of chicken and PP sammie. I know our church and I just know this is going to happen.

But, I'm not going to push it. This is a church fundraiser and I'm not in charge. I'm going to smoke the pork for 100, donate the BBQ sauce, my time and pray it all goes well.

Good morning brethren. I posted some pics of the pulled pork I cooked for our youth fundraiser. You can read that thread to see how it went. I wanted to post some of the things I learned from this fundraiser and see if any of you have had similar experiences.

*Procrastination will come back and bite you- One of the main issues that popped up and bit us in the rear end was the guy cooking the chicken used a new grill for the first time without ever cooking on it before. He'd had the grill for several weeks but hadn't used it. The morning of the fundraiser is a bad time to realize you've yet to "learn" how this unit cooks and end up burning a lot of the chicken on the outside and leaving the middle not completely cooked.

*Too many roosters in the hen house-About half way through the luncheon we ran out of buns but still had a ton of pulled pork left. I wondered how in the world that could have happened because I told and physically showed the two serving what a 4 oz serving looked like. Well, well, well. They took it upon themselves to make an executive decision that 4 oz would be too much and we'd run out of meat. So they decided to start shorting the servings by about an ounce or two so the buns ran out loooong before the meat. So we had to get someone to rush up to the store and buy more. Then that night (when vacation Bible school started) we started getting some feedback from the cook. A lot of people weren't very happy with getting a 2 oz serving of pulled pork on their sandwich and I don't blame them. Most people over paid for the bbq plate anyway (to help out the youth) so to get their plates and be severely shorted on food doesn't sit well.

Overall the fundraiser was a success. The youth raised a lot of money but I sure did learn a lot of things that next time we will do different. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back