Ribeye suggestions?

I was too but now its the only way I cook steak ..I won't lie is kinda freaky to do it lol

I was thinking I'd learn the process, then tell my buddy Andy, who thinks he is a food snob, something like, "You buy the steaks and I'll buy the beer and cook, Martha said you can crash here if you don't piss her off" ( A frequent invite). Then watch his face melt when I toss three good steaks right on top of the hot coals....

I like to do a quick high heat sear and then finish with indirect heat until the steak hits 125-130. I then rest for about 8 minutes until I slice into that morsel.

+1 on the quick sear and indirect finish to temp. My personal opinion is that the Ribeye has the best flavor of any steak cut, other than a light S&P, don't fark with it.

Great steaks are best done in a CI skillet, for my opinion and taste.
I use sea salt and fresh ground pepper only, sometimes fresh garlic and butter .

Lesser steaks I play with the flavours and marinades, but this is my way with really good steaks.

I am with Bourbon Barrel on this one. I have only had the time to try it a couple of times but man did they turn out really good.
Season with kosher, black pepper and chopped garlic. Sous vide in a vacume bag until 120*
( I like rare), remove, a little EVOO then sear the @#$%^&* out of them to the color you like. Takes time to do it right but it was perfect.

I was very enthusiastic about sous vide!
Love rare steaks, but after eating enough sous vide steaks with a sear to be certain I gave it up for steaks.
It didn't do what I can do using a CI pan or grill as well, producing a tastier result from two steaks cut from the same meat.
Reading about it I discovered that this result was also adhered to by top restaurants, the heat of the direct methods produce more flavinoids...something my mouth seemed to have agreed with.

Still the best method for cooking seafood tho IMO.

It's subjective, YMMV

I like to do a quick high heat sear and then finish with indirect heat until the steak hits 125-130. I then rest for about 8 minutes until I slice into that morsel.

Yup...especially prime meat.

there has already been some great advice. Man, it has been a long time since I was at Jocko's, was planning on hitting it in June until plans changed.

Here is what I do for caveman. Load up a Weber chimney full of quality lump. Get it screaming hot. Dump in one side of Weber kettle mounded high. Add pecan chunk. Place lid on with vents wide open. Have steak out and seasoned. I use a local seasoning containing salt,dextrose,paprika,red pepper,black pepper,garlic,onion,chili powder,oleo paprika,enzeco bromelain 240. Place steak on opposite the fire. Set timer 4 minutes. Flip steak set timer 3 minutes. Check internal temp. Roast like this until 110f. Remove steak and grate. Spread lump and place a disposable grate directly on lump. Sear steak 90 seconds per side. Rest 5 minutes no foil. Plate and pour resting juices back over steak. Best steak of your life.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Grill-Disposable-Grill-Topper-3pk/19581290

OP here, checking back in.

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't mention it in my original post, but I have done several different cooks featuring a sear and/or cook on CI pan/griddle as well as Caveman style. I like all of them, but I still feel that I'm looking for something else.

I ended up doing something pretty close to rwalters suggestion in post #4 of the thread. I couldn't find any coffee to add to the original marinade/rub, but was able to add some about an hour before the cook. Fired up both BGE's, got the first one to screaming hot using the High-Que grid, spider and CI grid (well over 700 on the Tel-tru) for the sear - about 110-120 seconds on each side, then placed on the second BGE indirect at about 300 until I had an internal of about 127-130.

It was good. I think it would have benefited from fresh coffee going on initially. It was definitely a different texture than a classic T-Rex, but it was a lot of work.

Thanks again to rwalter.

May try reverse sear next time.

Here is what I do for caveman. Load up a Weber chimney full of quality lump. Get it screaming hot. Dump in one side of Weber kettle mounded high. Add pecan chunk. Place lid on with vents wide open. Have steak out and seasoned. I use a local seasoning containing salt,dextrose,paprika,red pepper,black pepper,garlic,onion,chili powder,oleo paprika,enzeco bromelain 240. Place steak on opposite the fire. Set timer 4 minutes. Flip steak set timer 3 minutes. Check internal temp. Roast like this until 110f. Remove steak and grate. Spread lump and place a disposable grate directly on lump. Sear steak 90 seconds per side. Rest 5 minutes no foil. Plate and pour resting juices back over steak. Best steak of your life.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Grill-Disposable-Grill-Topper-3pk/19581290
Thanks for the detailed post! May try this at some point. My attempt at Caveman resulted in a unique, good taste, but inconsistent doneness.

Interesting details on the seasoning - oleo and enzeco bromelain 240. mmmmmm - some of my favorites! :becky:

Quote:I like to do a quick high heat sear and then finish with indirect heat until the steak hits 125-130. I then rest for about 8 minutes until I slice into that morsel.

This! The only thing I would add is to cook it over some mesquite and only use salt and pepper and the mesquite smoke flavoring. Just don't overcook them and enjoy the best steaks you could ever hope to eat. Good rib eyes don't need a lot of added spices, just some salt to bring out the juices, and the pepper to enhance the flavor. Now, if I could catch an early "Red Eye" flight..........:icon_smile_tongue:

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

Salt and Pepper work wonders, but I've been on a BPS Double Secret Steak rub kick lately... damn fine stuff!

I pull the steaks out of the fridge and put some rub on 'em and let 'em sweat it out, both sides, for at least an hour under wrap. Maybe even apply a second coat because half of it's gonna fall off into the fire anyways.

I heat up my BGE to about 700 degrees with my Grill Grates on. Throw my steaks on 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes flip, and until 135 it (usually less than 2 minutes) for a total of nearly 8 minutes (give or take to desired doneness)

Turns out the best every time.

I also normally buy the costco prime steaks, but the last time I didn't have it in the budget, and bough Costco select rib eyes... visually before cooking I could tell a difference. After? Not at all!

Here's a GREAT article on grilling steaks!
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html

Back