• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Well I snagged a UniFlame grill and I'm going to try to fit the lid to my UDS. Wish me luck. It's 22" instead of 22.5 as a Weber is but I have seen some done.

First UDS - Need to use the KISS principle

Hello All. Thanks for this thread - very educational. I found a new, unlined drum. It does not have the ribs that I am used to seeing on 'typical' drums. I know they reinforce the sides.

Has anyone used a drum like this? Do you think the lack of ribs will be a MAJOR issue, or just a potential nuisance?

Attachments

• 130724-01 - Purchased Unlined Drum - 2.jpg
    130724-01 - Purchased Unlined Drum - 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 689
Thanks to all the great info that helped me build my uds.. Couldn't be happier with the results

image.jpg

You'll just need to be careful handling it when moving it around to ensure
that you don't inadvertently dent in the sides...
Good Luck with your build..

Hello All. Thanks for this thread - very educational. I found a new, unlined drum. It does not have the ribs that I am used to seeing on 'typical' drums. I know they reinforce the sides.

Has anyone used a drum like this? Do you think the lack of ribs will be a MAJOR issue, or just a potential nuisance?

I have been inundated on this thread with all manner of "fancy" designs of UDS's, most out of my creative skill level, esp "team logo" smokers. I especially like this one because it pays homage to the original use of the barrel. There is a funky charm to it and for my money it is the essence of the Ugly Drum Smoker, a venerable workhorse re-purposed as a utilitarian piece of equipment still pulling its weight. Thanks for the post and pictures.

Took me a while to read it all but finally got through it and built one. Works great for such a simple system. Had a ECB and Walmart $99 sidebox both of which are junk. The sidebox takes so much tending and the ECB peters out after 5 hours. This thing seems like it will run for days on a basket of lump charcoal. I have about $40 invested and its worth every penny. Its great to be able to put meat on before bed and wake up in the morning to a delicious hunk of BBQ.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
Oh heres a pic because of course no pictures means it didn't happen.

I have been inundated on this thread with all manner of "fancy" designs of UDS's, most out of my creative skill level, esp "team logo" smokers. I especially like this one because it pays homage to the original use of the barrel. There is a funky charm to it and for my money it is the essence of the Ugly Drum Smoker, a venerable workhorse re-purposed as a utilitarian piece of equipment still pulling its weight. Thanks for the post and pictures.

Posting on www.greeneggers.com as 'Q Bruddah

Last edited:
Most of my cooks are indirect but I often go direct over coals to finish the meat. As an example I cook wings indirect then the last 15 or 20 minutes I'll go direct to crisp up the edges that add both flavor and apperance. My setup in the drum has three grid levels above the charcoal. The one closest to the fire is used to hold a large pizza pan that works as my heat deflector and my drip pan. Two more grids above is for cooking/smoking meat. I have grilled on the lowest grid for searing. I burn 2/3 less lump charcoal after insulating, very pleased with that.

I am starting a UDS build, and I want to include the option of a deflector / water pan. Can you post pics of your UDS, and also, some dimensions of your rack supports, coal basket, etc.?

First UDS - A Few Questions

Hello all. I have read through dozens of pages of this thread, but not all of them. So I apologize if I ask a question that has already been discussed.

1. I have a new drum that is plain steel on the inside, and a gloss finish on the outside. I need to remove the outside paint before applying high temp paint right? Has anyone used Rustoleum "Aircraft Remover"? It is a paint removing spray. A few videos show it working well.

2. Should I apply a high temp primer before the finish coat?

3. I've seen some pretty fancy UDSs. Where can I get high temp paint in colors other than black, brown and grey?

4. I see that some of you use stainless hardware. I have read that galvanized is bad. Is zinc-plated hardware OK?

Thanks!

4. you can use zinc-plated but need to burn the zinc off.
3. Engine pant is all that is really needed. Didn't remove the paint, just painted over it.
2.Not necessary, see 3
1.See 2 and 3.

Nice looking unit!

Well I got the drum finished and coated the inside with crisco... Here's a final pic...

a008232d.jpg

UVaJester,
This is a nice clean looking unit. What lid did you use? How are you drafting the bottom? I am sold on the u-bolt shelf supports and tel-tru thermometer.

I have a Large BGE and was thinking I wanted the draft door on a UDS. But i also wonder if there is any advantage performance-wise to the Riser/ball valve arrangement. I get that it is at a more convenient height but it is also a lot of hardware.

I am mostly through the thread.

I apologize, I didn't read the entire 743 pages of this thread and I'm sure this has been answered...but if someone could please throw me a bone, that would be awesome. I'm mentally planning a future UDS build and have been stuck on this part. I would be moving forward with the no-weld UDS but this is the best threaded nipple I could find for the intakes, however it's the dreaded Galvanized Steel. Is this what everyone else is using for intakes?

http://www.menards.com/main/electri...-4-x-closed-rigid-nipple/p-1442241-c-9538.htm

44361.jpg

I apologize, I didn't read the entire 743 pages of this thread and I'm sure this has been answered...but if someone could please throw me a bone, that would be awesome. I'm mentally planning a future UDS build and have been stuck on this part. I would be moving forward with the no-weld UDS but this is the best threaded nipple I could find for the intakes, however it's the dreaded Galvanized Steel. Is this what everyone else is using for intakes?

http://www.menards.com/main/electri...-4-x-closed-rigid-nipple/p-1442241-c-9538.htm

44361.jpg

That what I used on mine just not galvanized. You can get the same ones in raw black iron I got mine a home depot. Hope this helps

That what I used on mine just not galvanized. You can get the same ones in raw black iron I got mine a home depot. Hope this helps

Was it in the electrical department? I can't find any non-galvanized ones on the HD website, everything seems to be galvanized.

I think you want to search for iron, not steel :)
In the uk its called black malleable iron.

Was it in the electrical department? I can't find any non-galvanized ones on the HD website, everything seems to be galvanized.

They are in the plumbing department in the store. I looked on there website and could not find them there but they do have them

Gc8 I believe you mean brass ball valve I dont think they make them in copper could be wrong tho. Brass is what you need . I would suggest using brass caps for your other nipples also as they wont rust and be hard to remove over time

Back