Who knows RUBS? Please read....

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just a few questions about rubs:

1. If I can really save money doing it myself, please offer up a good all-around recipe.
  2. If I do the "store bought" rub, which product do you recommend that is an excellent deal and a great value for the price?
Thanks!

It really depends on what you're cooking and how you like your BBQ. I've not had SM, but have heard good things. Plowboys is great stuff, but knowing which one is right for you is dependent on if you're cooking pork or brisket or chicken or ribs. If you like it sweet or hot, etc.

Check out the basic rubs from the Chris Lilly book. Lots of good basic rubs to start with there.

IMHO, the McCormick Montreal seasonings are very good supermarket rubs. As for Simply Marvelous, I'd start with Season All and one other - Cherry is really good on just about everything. If you can, buy the 6 pack and decide which you like best.

Season All is more of a light dusting salt than it is a full on rub. As for SM, you can't go wrong with ANY of them. I tend to always make his Sweet Seduction my primary layer, then depending on the meat, I will add Cherry to pork and a topcoat of Pecan for a little kick. If you buy his sampler pack, you will love every one of them. The Spicy Apple is also wonderful to play with but honestly without going goo goo over each one and its application, just get them all, I run out all the time, Steph always takes great care of his customers.

Three pigs Championship Rub, Cherry Rub, and Memphis rub are good.

There is a Bosnian spice called Veggeta... look it up... great on chicken!!

I would highly suggest Big Ron's Rubs if your not going to make your own. Either the original or Hint of Houston.

A lot depends on how much you use throughout the year.
I tend to need 20 or so pounds of rub per year for church events and so I make mine using the 8-3-1-1 formula from Alton Brown and confirmed by Myron. I also buy Myron's basic meat rub for use at home and as gifts -- though my blend and Myron's are similar :mrgreen:

Last batch was 8# light brown sugar, 3# salt, 1# chili powder, 1# Spanish paprika, 1# blend of cayenne, black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, and I think dried basil. And yes, I used pounds as my unit of measure for this batch. I like weight better than "measure" scaling and keeping recipes correct.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Another vote for Big Ron's original I find it to be a good all purpose rub if you go the prepared route. I would also like to experiment with making my own rubs but sourcing quality bulk ingredients for a reasonable price is my biggest problem. Have you given any thought to finding a good generic base and alter it to suit your needs.

I really will never understand why ppl buy rubs. What we did was take a basic bbq rub and tailor it to our taste. Yes you will save $$ if you do any quantity. If you decide to do commercial check the first ingredient if it's salt I in my opinion would steer clear. Up to your taste buds though.

Storebought: +1 Simply Marvelous and Plowboy's. Also, Butchers makes great rubs!

Make your own, I rarely recommend books, especially BBQ books, but this one is very good:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Kirks-Championship-Barbecue-Sauces/dp/155832125X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352915612&sr=1-5&keywords=rub+recipes"]Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops, and Salsas (Non): Paul Kirk: 9781558321250: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces

Storebought: +1 Simply Marvelous and Plowboy's. Also, Butchers makes great rubs!

Make your own, I rarely recommend books, especially BBQ books, but this one is very good:

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops, and Salsas (Non): Paul Kirk: 9781558321250: Amazon.com: Books

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces

Lake dog beat me to it, I highly highly recommend this book to everybody who is starting out cooking bbq. Doesnt really cost a bunch to make your own that you like and you know EXACTLY what is in it. Have bought many many books includuing Pauls second book and I still consider this one to be the best one out there for basic sauces and rubs for bbq.

Back