Ranch Kettle Restoration.

That sucker comes wid a 10 year warranty Bro. Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

I'll look for the date code on it. If its less than 10 years old I'll give them a call. You are right though. The worst they can say is no.

By the way...nice lookin feast...I guess things are different down there cuz that did not look like my tri-tips....different butchering I guess.

Those were the Tri-tips of Brother Igotgas. I have never seen one for sale in a meat case here.

By the way did you see my King Kettle score of Kansas City CL...I got damn lucky for 300 bucks.

By the way did you see my King Kettle score of Kansas City CL...I got damn lucky for 300 bucks.

Yes I did! That was a really sweet deal. I had never heard of Whalen. Sounds like Weber's Lawyers ripped them a new one and they never recovered.

Yes I did! That was a really sweet deal. I had never heard of Whalen. Sounds like Weber's Lawyers ripped them a new one and they never recovered.

I think Whalen has always been big on making fire pits and kind of stepped out of their element and accidentally stepped into something else....lol.

Ok got the inside rusty area cleaned up and filled in with Thermosteel. Also got the new intake holes drilled.

uploadfromtaptalk1308151160029.jpg

After the stuff set overnight, I built a small fire out of Oak limbs from the yard.

I put the cooking grate and the lid on and let that burn for a while until I was confident that it was fully cured, and any fumes were gone.

uploadfromtaptalk1308151395295.jpg

Not being one to waste a good fire I grabbed a can of Spam and cut it into four squares and seasoned with a little Black Pepper. Grilled em up nice and quick along with a hotdog for good measure.

uploadfromtaptalk1308151564185.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1308151692379.jpg

Then enjoyed myself a nice Spam n Cheese Sammich!

uploadfromtaptalk1308151657791.jpg

It seems like the Thermosteel has done the trick. Hopefully it will be a lasting repair. This grill will definitely get cleaned out after every use!

Now I just need to make or buy my new Daisy Wheels for the intakes, do a little cleaning and touch up painting and I'm done!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1308151278592.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1308151278592.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 142
You've really done a great job on that and the welder really showed some stuff too.:thumb::thumb:

You've really done a great job on that and the welder really showed some stuff too.:thumb::thumb:

Thanks. He really is good. First I thought he was gonna TIG it. Then I found out he doesn't have one. Then I thought he was gonna use flux core, and found out he didn't have any flux core wire.

He actually welded that thin metal with plain old steel wire!

Thanks. He really is good. First I thought he was gonna TIG it. Then I found out he doesn't have one. Then I thought he was gonna use flux core, and found out he didn't have any flux core wire.

He actually welded that thin metal with plain old steel wire!

Yah! I read that. That was impressive. Guy's got skill.

I'm a little perplexed on cooking indirect on this thing.

On a smaller Kettle the vent holes are on one side, and you simply have your fire on one side and your vents on the other. This way the food is in the path of heat flow.

On the Ranch Kettle the vent holes are dead center. Does this negatively affect the flow of heat? Seems like if heat takes the path of least resistance on its way out the food would be out of the path.

I think the sheer volume of that thing with just three small vent holes would insure a fairly uniform heat distribution anyway, but I'm just guessing here.

I think the sheer volume of that thing with just three small vent holes would insure a fairly uniform heat distribution anyway, but I'm just guessing here.

Yeah I guess the Kettle's shape in general promotes even heating.

Back