My attempt at Popdaddy's Soulbread...

Hunterman95

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Gave Popdaddy's soulbread a try. Had trouble interpreting the recipe, and I'm pretty sure I ended up with twice as much butter as I should, but it was still good!
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzEwLTAwMTAwLmpwZw.jpg

Served it up with some grilled chicken breasts seasoned with SM Season-All. Also very good.
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzEwLTAwMTAxLmpwZw.jpg

Extra butter is usually something I don't see as a problem. Looks good - I may be trying that this weekend.

Don't really see a problem with cornbread and too much butter; looks good from here :thumb:. And I'll agree, the yard bird looks like a nice compliment :clap2:.

Having to sit down and interpret the recipe is the reason I haven't tried this yet. Does anyone have it written down for those of us who are lacking in the funk department? :doh:

Having to sit down and interpret the recipe is the reason I haven't tried this yet. Does anyone have it written down for those of us who are lacking in the funk department? :doh:

If someone will convert it to Southern Rock I will translate it back to English for you.

This stuff looks great. Could someone please post the recipe as I had the same issue Hunterman did figuring it out?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

If you haven't already, you need to watch Popdaddy's tutorial on how to make his Soulbread.
//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Y3XBsbwI8

Here's what I got out of it, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

2TBS of olive oil
1/3 C butter (although in the video it looks more like 2TBS, which could be how I got too much butter)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
toast garlic, but don't burn
remove garlic
add 2 red onions, thinly sliced (my onions were really big, so I only did 1-1/2)
add a dash of Montreal seasonong
add garlic back on top
Don't stir

meanwhile, in a bowl, mix 2 boxes of Jiffy corn mix per instructions on the box,
add 1/2 TBS coarse ground pepper & 1 tsp Red Pepper flakes

after the onion has simmered for 10 min, stir only once, then lower temp and simmer 5 more min.

add 1/3 of corn batter to onions & mix well
add rest of batter on top (don't mix)

Bake at 400* for 15-20min. (per Jiffy box)

In saucepan, melt 2/3 C. butter, 1/4 C. heavy cream (or 1/2 & 1/2), and 2 "scoops" of sugar (looks like about a 1/4C scoop he's using, so I did approx. 1/2C.)
Heat until sugar is disolved.

poke your holes in the cornbread and drizzle butter/cream/sugar mixture over top.

Once handle is cool enough to hold, place plate on top and flip over.

My apologies to Popdaddy, if I screwed up his recipe, but it was still good.

Yo Hunterman95...just watched the video. Thanks for posting it. From what I see you got the recipe correct. I printed it out and followed along with your translation. Can not wait to give this a try.

I woudl add... the more you can get those onions to carmalize (this is why we do NOT move them--- kind of why you don't move the onions at all when you make a good French Onion Soup) the happier you will be.

So the done time on the onions is just so I put something in there. In fact.... I would simmer them MUCH longer than the 5 minutes. I have made this bread with Red Onion slices all the way up the side of that skillet and reduced them to only an half an inch or less.

Man, that sure does look good. I like Donnie's idea of using a whole pan of onions reduced down.

Maybe I didn't have too much onion after all. I sliced up two big onions & it looked like there wasn't going to be enough room for the cornbread, so I took some out. I'll just simmer them longer next time. Thanks for the help!

I am lucky. Whenever I get a hankering for Soulbread, I guess I'll head south. Pitmaster T made a batch of Soulbread for the Schutte Family and only one Schutte consumed....GOOD STUFF.

I've made it a couple of times so far, I love it! The second time I added some Makers Mark to the Rick Astley and it was a big hit. Here's a pic of my first one.

Attachments

• soulbread.jpg
    soulbread.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 28
Back