• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> "Kettle Cook Off!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

More boiling ribs then....

muji-tea-kettle.jpg

Please accept this as my entry to the "Kettle Cook Off" Throwdown.

Figured I'd show the Kettle some love since there is a Kettle TD going on and I needed to try out the Weber charcoal baskets I bought with my gift certificate from ATBBQ after my recent TD win/tie...

On the menu was 10 chicken thighs and some Brussels sprouts for the grill and come corn on the cob cooked in the space age zapper inside.

I divided up the thighs and marinaded 5 in Mojo Criollo for about 3 hours before letting them dry in the fridge for another 2 hours or so. I dusted them with Plowboys Yardbird before putting them on the grill.

10174985_10104541012890640_2157426020441140356_n.jpg

The other 5 thighs were floured using N8man's recipe posted here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2912628&postcount=12

I eyeballed the amounts/ratios since I was only using a small amount of chicken breader for the 5 thighs. I think it was heavy on some of the spices as it was almost a 1:1 ratio of spices to chicken breader. It turned out a bit spicier than I was expecting but still delish! Though, after re-reading his recipe just now, he only added a TBS of the spice mix! :rofl: :doh:

I coated the 5 thighs in the breader mixture and tossed all the chicken on the grill with indirect heat running about 275-300°F with some apple wood chunks in the baskets.

10352290_10104541010999430_4867554122694464755_n.jpg

While those rocked on, I parboiled the Brussels sprouts for 5 minutes then threw them in an ice bath. I peeled off the soft/wilting leaves after the ice bath and wired them up on the FireWire. Gave them a light misting of EVOO and a dusting with Ted & Barneys. Once the chicken came off, I tossed the sprouts on the grill over direct heat and based with T&B seasoned butter a few times before they were done.

10364214_10104541011333760_6135402794167578083_n.jpg

10294385_10104541011832760_8114136556515590399_n.jpg

1625637_10104541011588250_685226968925311082_n.jpg

10177322_10104541012052320_851954533472454849_n.jpg

Since the grill space was already being utilized, we just used the cosmic ray zapper to cook the corn on the cob.

Here is is all plated up...both kinds of chicken were juicy beyond belief despite hitting an IT of 180°F on most of them. That is why I love thighs! Please use the below pic as my polling pic.

10302040_10104541012226970_6554054383233463164_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. That chicken looks really, really delicious -- crusty, juicy and packed with flavour. Thanks for the link to N8's post, I'm saving the recipe. I love brussels sprouts (Marian brains) and I love what you did with them in this cook. This is a fantastic meal and you've inspired me to recreate it. Thank you, brother. :becky:

Beautiful cook Peeps! I am not a sprouts fan, but they look so cool on the kettle that I would have to eat them.

Mother’s Day Cook on Mothers Kettle

Please accept this as my entry into the “Kettle Cook Off” Throwdown.

My Mother in Law had an old Weber kettle sitting on her deck that she just gave to me. I posted some pics of it in a thread called “Is this a Weber”. John Setzler confirmed it and provided a link showing it was made in 1988. It was not in great condition but not bad either. So for Mother’s Day I asked what my 88 year old MIL wanted and she wanted chicken breasts and corn on the cob. I made it so with my new old kettle.

Placed in the corn and the chicken, covered and let Mr. Kettle do his thing.

Here are the plated shots.

Please use the picture below as my polling photo.

It was good!

The entire cook tread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188569

Ahem...:cop:

Do you hear the sound of black helicopters?

What part of Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only do some of you folks not understand?

Off topic stuff goes HERE.

Peeps I just have to try that chicken breader..............I went to order 2 boxes at a cost of under $5 and they want almost $14 in shipping............:twitch:

Peeps I just have to try that chicken breader..............I went to order 2 boxes at a cost of under $5 and they want almost $14 in shipping............:twitch:
I was able to find it at my grocery store.

Amazon is selling the bag for $10 and free shipping if you are prime...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/House-Autry-Chicken-Breader-Lbs/dp/B00CSYVRY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399919709&sr=8-1&keywords=chicken+breader"]House Autry Chicken Breader 2 Lbs: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QEMF2HElL.@@AMEPARAM@@41QEMF2HElL[/ame]

Folks, it's great to see all these fine entries!

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

******However, PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE YOU POST AN ENTRY, ESPECIALLY AS IT RELATES TO YOUR ENTRY PHOTO. If you do not specify an entry photo, it will be chosen by one of us moderators, which means it may not be the one you intended.*******

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

I was able to find it at my grocery store.

Amazon is selling the bag for $10 and free shipping if you are prime...

House Autry Chicken Breader 2 Lbs: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I tried to find the ingredients online but they weren't detailed enough. I would be interested in ordering or looking for it if it's not full of chemical additives. Peeps, if you get a chance -- would you check the ingredients for me, please? Is there anything listed that begins with 'hydrolyzed' or 'autolyzed' and ends with yeast extracts, plant proteins or similar? That stuff is hidden MSG. Does the box list many ingredients you can't pronounce or that don't look like food? We have a good fish breader available at stores in my area but the ingredients are atrocious. It tastes great and works great but :shocked:.

I tried to find the ingredients online but they weren't detailed enough. I would be interested in ordering or looking for it if it's not full of chemical additives. Peeps, if you get a chance -- would you check the ingredients for me, please? Is there anything listed that begins with 'hydrolyzed' or 'autolyzed' and ends with yeast extracts, plant proteins or similar? That stuff is hidden MSG. Does the box list many ingredients you can't pronounce or that don't look like food? We have a good fish breader available at stores in my area but the ingredients are atrocious. It tastes great and works great but :shocked:.
Here is some online info, but who knows how accurate it is. When Tasha gets home, I'll ask her to snap a pic of the ingredients and nutrition label.

http://www.shopwell.com/house-autry-chicken-breader/doughs-mixes/p/7348413320

^ Wow, thanks Peeps. That's pretty good for ingredients. The colour could be artificial but if that's the only downside, this breader is miles ahead of some other ones I've seen. I like it, I will order some. :thumb: :becky:

Back