Prime Rib Roast

I have only been in one throwdown so I guess I qualify as a Virgin. :wink:

Someone once told me that men are visual creatures so I am going to try to have as many pictures as I can. And girls, they are creatures, aren't they? :p

Originally I was going to try a Leg of Lamb, I heard that I might get the Smokin Aussie going with that. But alas, I was out voted. Sorry, maybe another time Mr. Aussie.

So hear goes.

One very small Prime Rib Roast.

Rib-Roast.jpg

I knew that a roast this small would cook very fast, so I decided to brown it first. Just rubbed with S & P, my favorite spices. Here it is.

In-the-Pan.jpg

Next I went out to my Big Smokey Thingy, I just had to say that. Laid in some coals and briquetts, and mixed in some Hickory. Lit it with my favorite toy, a weed burner. Now I know why y'all like to play with fire.

Fire.jpg

When my smoke looked right I put the little guy on the top rack.

On-Big-Smokey.jpg

It only took 1.5 hours to reach 140 and thats when I pulled him off. Then I wrapped him and let him rest for an hour.

Here he is when he came out.

Ready-to-Slice.jpg

I could only get three slices form the little guy, but he was a perfect Med. Rare. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Sliced.jpg

Oh MY that looks good!!

Then I served him with some green beans and Parsley Potatoes.

Served.jpg

A meal fit for a Queen! :thumb: Mr. Byte, please use this last picture.

The roast was perfect, very juicy, and a lot of smoke flavor.

This is the first Rib Roast I have smoked, and I will recommend it to everyone.

And maybe a Lamb for the next time. Right Mr. Aussie?

Very nice Campfire Girl. :thumb:

I'm starting to think the competition in a "virgin" catagory is going to be no less fierce than a regular TD. :doh:

I just need to find some time to do this. I was too busy this weekend playing with crescent rolls. ;)

Beef Spiedini

I posted this over in the Bubba Keg forum, will cut it down a bit from that thread, but have left the recipe intact which is a family recipe I've adapted for the Keg. I've only been in one throwdown here, and thanks to ---k--- am not a member of the Zero club. :p

Recipe follows, then a ton of pictures. I'm fairly certain that a lot of brethren have never seen these, so here goes. As a recipe, it's a good one that I'm happy to share. As a throwdown entry, we'll see how it does.

Beef Spiedini

Ingredients -

Beef Eye Round Roast, 3 lbs or greater
Italian Bread Crumbs, 2-3 cups
Romano Cheese
Bay Leaves
2-3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Keg heated to around 400-425. For this cook, I used the BGE platesetter and grilled indirect.

The roast needs to be sliced very thin. It's easiest to do this on an electric slicer. The pieces should be uniform in size and paper thin. If necessary, you can pound the meat thinner with a meat mallet.

Place the bread crumbs in a rectangular dish, add the garlic and grate 2-3 Tsp of Romano cheese into the mix. Sprinkle with EVOO and mix. Add enough EVOO until the mixture is slightly damp and the breadcrumbs stay together.

Take a slice of beef, place some of the breadcrumb mixture on top, fold in the sides and roll. Place on a toothpick, put a small piece of bay leaf on the rolled meat and do the same with another beef roll. The toothpick will be between the two rolls. Try to choose slices that are comparable in size so the pair will cook and be done at the same time.

When all the rolls are on toothpicks, place the pairs back into the breadcrumb mixture and coat the outside with breadcrumbs.

Place the spiedini on the grill. For this cook, I used 8-8-4-4-2-2, turning them at each of those times. To brown the outside of the spiedini, I placed them around the edge of the grill for a short time, outside the perimeter of the platesetter.

Serve warm, though they're also excellent cold. And don't forget to remove the bay leaf in the center.

Today's cook -

Ingredients -

DSCN4698_l.jpg

No electric slicer, so my trusty carving knife to the rescue -
(You could ask your butcher to slice the raw roast, but here in Massachusetts that's frowned upon due to health concerns)

DSCN4699_l.jpg

Mr Meat, meet Mr. Mallet -
(place between sheets of wax paper)

DSCN4701_l.jpg

Place the breadcrumb mixture on the beef -

DSCN4706_l.jpg

Fold the sides in and roll it to keep the mixture inside -

DSCN4707_l.jpg

And place a pair of them on a toothpick -
(in between place a piece of bay leaf)

DSCN4708_l.jpg

And roll the pair back in the breadcrumb mixture (no pic shown)

Out on the Keg -
(I initially wasn't planning on using the platesetter, but my temps got up too high and I thought it best to put it in. I started them in the center and for part of the cook moved them out beyond the platesetter perimeter to brown them a bit.

DSCN4713_l.jpg

Done -
(Internal temp with the Thermapen was around 135+)

DSCN4715_l.jpg

Plated, etc. -

(Use this next picture for the entry)
DSCN4718_l.jpg

DSCN4719_l.jpg

DSCN4721_l.jpg

DSCN4724_l.jpg

DSCN4725_l.jpg

These were every bit as good as I remember them and I think I've matched my Dad's recipe as best as possible. And of course, these were done on the Keg.

They're simple in concept, but quite labor intensive to prepare. The reason for practicing today was this will probably be on our Christmas Eve menu.

Thanks for checking out a recipe that's an Italian classic in my book.

-lunchman

Wow!:shock: That lamb looks so succulent!:hungry: And I'll take a whole mess of that Speidini please!:thumb:

Man, there is some good food showing up here, can't go wrong with the rib roast and those Spiedies look great.

Holy Cow! Virgins, I've been away too long. Some really nice lookin entries, most better than my zeros. :redface:

Wow.. I've never entered..... that must make me a virgin too! :cool::becky:

I bet Redhot, Ecode, Amber and Campfiregirl would love to have you join them in the throw downs jeanie.:thumb:

As much as some of the rest of us non-winners don't need the additional competition, I would welcome cowgirl to the throwdowns. No telling what sort of creations she would come up with, but I do know they would be right up there with the best. :thumb:

Last edited:
Clarification requested. If you enter more than one entry and one gets votes but the other does not. Does this qualify you for the Zero club?

Back