• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pretrimming??

S

striped pig

Are there any sancationing bodies that do not allow pre trimming?? I know FBA does and I thought KCBS did but I was told otherwise by a newly certified judge. He also said MIM did not allow pretrimmed meat. ......thanks for helping settle a bet......stan

I don't recall any of the rules for MBN or KCBS saying that the meat can't be trimmed before hand. Haven't done FBA not familiar with their rules, yet. But I do recall reading others talking about pre-trimming before heading to a contest.

Most all specify that the meat cant be seasoned, cured or marinated before being inspected. Some inspectors like to get nit-picky and want to see packaging and labels, but if the contest or sanctioning rules don't specify that, it is hard to enforce.

KCBS allows you to trim/cut your meat. You can not inject, brine, marinade, or put rub on before the meat is inspected

Are there any sancationing bodies that do not allow pre trimming?? I know FBA does and I thought KCBS did but I was told otherwise by a newly certified judge. He also said MIM did not allow pretrimmed meat. ......thanks for helping settle a bet......stan

KCBS allows you to trim/cut your meat. You can not inject, brine, marinade, or put rub on before the meat is inspected

I think we have the proper ruling from Big George.

FBA: All meats must be USDA or state DA inspected and passed. No pre-seasoning, injecting, marinating or cooking of any entry is permitted until after inspection.......

Yes, we look for the USDA or DA inspection stickers.

I thought KCBS did but I was told otherwise by a newly certified judge.
*snort*
The actual section that pertains is:
8. All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector. All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label (EXCLUDING (but not limited to): teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected). When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat. (Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be disqualified; given a one (1) in all criteria by all six judges).

We've run up against this a time or two, to the point where I now keep a copy of the KCBS rules in our toolkit. PRESEASONED meat is prohibited. Pretrimming is absolutely legal for KCBS. I'm stunned that newly-minted judges are being turned out with this misconception.

*snort*

We've run up against this a time or two, to the point where I now keep a copy of the KCBS rules in our toolkit. PRESEASONED meat is prohibited. Pretrimming is absolutely legal for KCBS. I'm stunned that newly-minted judges are being turned out with this misconception.

I was told at my judges class that Burnt Ends were "treats for the judges" and were not to be taken into account when brisket was being judged...

I'd rather have teams get that bad info on meat... and have to spend some time on site trimming than be thinking I'm including some "treats" in my turn in box.

*snort*

Indeed. Additionally, this rule has absolutely nothing to do with the judging process--the determination being made by the designated meat inspector almost 24 hours prior to judges arriving on the site. During my CBJ class the instructor only informed us the rules that pertained to judging the meat, and told us if we were curious about the rest of the rules that we would be provided with a copy of them.

I was told at my judges class that Burnt Ends were "treats for the judges" and were not to be taken into account when brisket was being judged...

I'd rather have teams get that bad info on meat... and have to spend some time on site trimming than be thinking I'm including some "treats" in my turn in box.

Hmmmmm....who taught that class and when???? Treats? Good grief :icon_pissed

I was told in my judging class the opposite. Judge everything in the box and average the scores. Dang, they need to get the teachers singing from the same sheet of music.

Hmmmmm....who taught that class and when???? Treats? Good grief :icon_pissed

I was told the same thing when I went through the judging class....un-named place, but, I took it with a grain of salt.....until after, then went to talk to the "teacher" and they stuck with that....but, not to tell stories out of class, they also stated in the class that they have never DQ someone for sculpting at a contest because "can you tell me what team that belongs to?".....:roll:

I was told in my judging class the opposite. Judge everything in the box and average the scores. Dang, they need to get the teachers singing from the same sheet of music.

Class was taught by Linda and Jerry Mullane, so that was coming from a KCBS Board member.

I very much appreciate the music analogy! :mrgreen: I would say that they should all read from the sheet music arranged by the teacher at my CBJ class. You could tell that he had done it several times--he was very organized, informed, and "did it by the book". Unfortunately I am forgetting his name, but some might call him the Mozart of BBQ judging teachers.:wink:

I sent this thread to Ed Roith, chairperson of the Certified BBQ Judging Instructors. It's bull****.

I don't know if I'm anal or what, HOWEVER, with all the money that's spent to travel, food, lodging, gas, etc. I would like the people who come out and judge OUR food be on the same damn page. But, hey, maybe that's just me.

I'm pretty pissed about the "treats" deal! Sometimes the weather is horribly hot or horribly cold, rain, snow, sleet, WHATEVER! How much of a "treat" do they think it is to cook in less than stellar conditions???? I'm bent.

Last edited:
I sent this thread to Ed Roith, chairperson of the Certified BBQ Judging Instructors. It's bull****.

I don't know if I'm anal or what, HOWEVER, with all the money that's spent to travel, food, lodging, gas, etc. I would like the people who come out and judge OUR food be on the same damn page. But, hey, maybe that's just me.

Thanks for doing that.

I too have taken the CBJ classes and they said with burnt ends you do not take away from the score if they are bad but you could add points if they were good.

I too have taken the CBJ classes and they said with burnt ends you do not take away from the score if they are bad but you could add points if they were good.

I think this deserves a WTF!:confused:

I want to know from the people who have taken the CBJ class and the instructors came up with this garbage, WHO gave the class????? Put it out there! They did! Whomever is passing on this crap to new judges is skewing the system before they've even had a chance to go out and judge!

Names. I want names.

Back