• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Burger w/ photos

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'd heard brisket made good burgers before, so I had the meat guy at the grocery grind up a 2 lb chunk of brisket to make burgers.

I caramelized some onions to go on them, and topped the burgers with Vincent cheese (aged gouda). Added some pepper bacon slices, kosher pickle and mayo w/smoked romas I added (smoked and frozen back at the end of tomato season). All put on a nice bakery roll. Oh yeah.. thick sliced pepper bacon slices, too.

3223668689_5c255b68fc_b.jpg

3224525178_9a7c74f9ef_o.jpg

3224524606_26b95a42c7_o.jpg

3223666853_338923f684_o.jpg

3223665615_2fdd7e7e5f_o.jpg

I guess I should have added that info, too... As far as I can tell, I'll go with brisket burgers from now on. They were juicy without being greasy and had great taste. Good stuff!

Those look GREAT! I tried grinding my own a couple weeks ago with a hand grinder, Felt like I was in the movie Saw 4, what a mess. Next time I will have the butcher do it for me.

Do you think the Flat is the best for this? And why if so?

I would recommend the flat as I personally have had success with the flat, and not so great results with a packer. Some people do packers though. I probably screwed something up I guess.:rolleyes:

You could try using your food processor for grinding your own meat. I've done it a few times and it works great. No need to buy an expensive hand crank grinder or KitchenAid attachment. Makes cleanup way easier too. I first got the idea from an episode of Good Eats. Alton bought and ground meat using a processor to make burgers. Also, here's an article I found about the topic.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/07/07/FDG3P7G6841.DTL

Here's the Good Eats episode:

Pt 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Lj-ZSVvWI

Pt 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gip89zEyiM&feature=related

The ground meat looks nice and lean in the picture and the finished burger with the caramelized onions looks fantastic.

I think the point may be too fatty; the flat had the fat cap trimmed pretty thinly, and the fat content seemed about right.

One of the best parts on a burger I have any more is the smoked roma mayo. That was a fluke... I smoked a whole tray of halved romas, not enough to dry, but enough to cook them and add smoke, then I realized the tomatoes took a lot of smoke in, and weren't good by themselves. Fortunately, I realized that the tomatoes would be good as an ingredient to other things. I've used them in sauces and stews and stuff, and I love chopping up a couple of them to add to mayo. Good stuff!

2945397461_9faa1ecc15.jpg

2945395649_47f03c35d0.jpg

That's about as good a lookin' a burger as ever I seen.:eusa_clap

Not to de-rail your thread, but those smoked roma tomatoes make an unbelievable salsa, I make that all the time and you are right they do take on a tremendous amount of smoke, learned that lesson the hard way!

Looks great!

Could you PM me your camera setup? Your pictures rock!

James, thanks, but it's nothing fancy.. a Nikon d40, and a Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens in most of my shots. I'm hoping to go to a bigger format camera this year sometime... or at least more mp... I sometimes enlarge and print my shots, and the biggest problem with the d40 is it's 6 mp. It's fine for online work, but it won't enlarge more than about 8X10 or so.

Back