Do I have a big enough smoker to tackle small catering jobs?

one2bbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all, new guy here. I recently ordered a 24 x 48 smoker on a trailer from Peoria Custom Cookers. The cooker has a shelf to increase cooking area. It will not be ready for delivery until November, but I already have people asking me about cooking for them. I'm upgrading from the Chargriller Smoking Pro so I know there is a lot more cooking area, but I not sure that it will be big enough for "catering". I have a food service background, so I understand all the insurance , license and HD issues, but I'm not sure about the equipment needed. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

I would say you could do some moderately sized parties and have some holding capacity and you could do larger. I sarted out with a Lang 84 deluxe and was able to do 200 easy.

I would agree you are good up to 200. You may have to stagger meats such as roast versus chicken though. Meaning get briskets and butts done and rest while you get the chicken done.

I don't know how big the top shelf is but you could probably get 4-5 10-12# briskets on the bottom shelf.

That is a great cooker from a fine company. I almost bought one a year ago. I would say you could cook for 150 no problem. A great way to get your feet wet.

I have a Horizon the same dimensions - with the second tier as well. I cooked 16 slabs of baby backs today - no problem - just a little shifting mid cook. Cooked 8 butts on thursday with room to spare. The issue is how much your time is worth. You're gonna babysit that thing. Not exactly "set it and forget it."

If you want to see how big the Horizon is go to youtube and search for my videos - monty3777.
I shot a video the day I brought mine home.

I have a Horizon the same dimensions - with the second tier as well. I cooked 16 slabs of baby backs today - no problem - just a little shifting mid cook. Cooked 8 butts on thursday with room to spare. The issue is how much your time is worth. You're gonna babysit that thing. Not exactly "set it and forget it."

If you want to see how big the Horizon is go to youtube and search for my videos - monty3777.
I shot a video the day I brought mine home.

Those are some great videos. Nice touch with the moterhead and ratm. That pretty much resembles what I am getting. Did the fold out table come on the trailer or did you add it?

I have a Horizon 30 x 108, and it's amazing what can be done by throwing butts and briskets in coolers for many hours while you cook the smaller cuts and sides. It collects cob webs now, as the FEC 500 is a bunch easier, though.

Back