starting a new team

W

WalterSC

Brethren I need help . My wife and I are considering starting a new BBQ team any suggestions??

Have a lot of extra cash... ask lots of questions here... experiment at home... give yourself several months to prepare for your first contest, including purchasing your supplies. Your first five or so will feel like huge learning experiences. Don't give up. By the 6th contest, you should have your groove on!

Start by pouring over the comp forum here. Very good info to be found.

All good info above...tons of info on this topic in old threads...

My other recommendation is to try to hook up with a team at a contest as a helper before you do full practice runs at home as a mock contest or a real contest.

Another thing... go get certified as a BBQ judge through KCBS first. It will give you some ideas for box presentations and will also help you to better understand what KCBS judges are looking for. I guess I was assuming you'll be cooking KCBS events rather than MIM events.

Make a check list, make only small adjustments, practice, practice ,practice.

Spice

Cook how you like to cook then make ajustments. If you try and change everything at once you may just confuse yourself or creat a disaster.

What we do is go and have a good time. Cook like you would cook at home. Don't expect to do good at your first, second, third, ect. contest. Took us a few years to figure things out. Learn something at each contest and from each person you ask and then adjust to make it your own. Then once you figure something out that works for you always help anyone that is asking.

Keep your expectations real. Do what you know to do and think about the results after the comp. Have fun. Just fix everything like if you were cooking at home except don't cook anything over done. If you make changes as you go along, don't make really big changes.

Take your checkbook out back and shoot it. You are just going to spend a ton of money to get your teeth kicked in... ;)

Anyway, just take your time, make small changes, and ask lots of questions. The other competitors is what makes this sport so much fun. Also, there is all the info you need on this site. If you can't find it, someone will point you in the right direction.

Take your checkbook out back and shoot it. You are just going to spend a ton of money to get your teeth kicked in... ;)

Even though you get your teeth kicked in at any given contest. You will meet the nicest people who are willing to give you any kind of advise that you will need.

Greatgrills said:

Even though you get your teeth kicked in at any given contest. You will meet the nicest people who are willing to give you any kind of advise that you will need.

It's kind of like rugby...you think you know what's going on, but until you get the bumps and bruises...:mrgreen:

Cook what you know and evaluate afterwards. Get to know a few of the teams around you...after turn ins quite a bit of useful information can and will be shared!:-D

But while you are standing there with no teeth one of the teams on either side will offer you they're teeth because that is how we are and then you are hooked. Not because you like not having teeth but because you are in the presence of the finest people on this earth who will give you anything anytime and help you in every way. Sure there are a few slugs out there but there in every sport. Most important. A good supply of adult beverages helps to make for a better contest experience. Like mark (great grills) and others say. go to have a good time meet great people. If you do that you will have a great time. if you go only to win and make money you will be sadly disappointed no matter how good you are. Hope to see you on the contest trail.

Back