Stacking boxes

I don't run boxes very often, but I have never seen this. They have always been laid next to each other on a plastic bread tray.

I've seen it.. more than once, But never more than once at a same contest, because I never go back the next year. If a contest has to stack boxes, it ain't got their $hit together and I won't be back.. period...

Yeah never seen them stack. I've heard of this happening in the past and reps even saying they don't let it happen anymore, but haven't seen it in my short 3yrs competing. Where did you see it?

The bread trays most comps use are not big enough to hold six boxes without stacking. When I table captain, I make sure to point this out in hopes that nobody marks down for sauce on the lid or uneven sauce on the meat.

Some contests get by with sheet pans, and they are not big enough to take 6 boxes. For some reason, bread trays are not as common as they used to be - I know our supplier now delivers buns to the restaurant in cardboard. The trays that I do see seem to be a little smaller than they used to be.

Here's a fresh idea for KCBS: Find suitable turn-in trays and buy a pallet or two of them. Issue seven or eight trays to every Rep to bring to contests. (Have a program where events can buy their own trays if they are flying in Reps). The stacking problem will be solved once and for all!

The stacking boxes thing happened at Swintastic BBQ in Frederick, MD this year. When our team was turning in one of the boxes, someone next to them said something about stacking the boxes. The rep said it is allowed, but not more than 2 boxes total can be stacked.

They did not have any trays to carry boxes into the judging area.

wallace

I cook and turn in my own boxes @ every contest and have seen it @ my last 3 Sams events. I will say that each time my box was on top because i was told to put it there.

I turn in my own boxes most of the time and can't remember an event where the tray was big enough to have all 6 without stacking. Usually it is a box in each corner with two boxes on top straddling the corners of the bottom 4.

Wallace- that was me at swinetastic asking why the boxes were being stacked. If I recall there were no trays and each table had help running boxes but some still got stacked. Saucy Wench- I do the same if I am TCing.

Well, actually, the person that was questioning the reps about stacking was a close by neighbor. But, I am certain that you and them were not the only ones asking about it. As a matter of fact, the reps got pretty "snippy" with our neighbors and said they were going to deduct points from them for "fraternizing" with the reps. Not sure how that could happen, but.......

One of their concerns was that they were shuffling the boxes around so fast and stacking them with what appeared to be little care, they did not like that carelessness.

Oh well, I was not there at the turn in table, but our team mates and neighbors gave the same account of what happen.

Life goes on..... :wink:

wallace

Well, actually, the person that was questioning the reps about stacking was a close by neighbor. But, I am certain that you and them were not the only ones asking about it. As a matter of fact, the reps got pretty "snippy" with our neighbors and said they were going to deduct points from them for "fraternizing" with the reps. Not sure how that could happen, but.......

One of their concerns was that they were shuffling the boxes around so fast and stacking them with what appeared to be little care, they did not like that carelessness.

Oh well, I was not there at the turn in table, but our team mates and neighbors gave the same account of what happen.

wallace

the rep who threatened the team needs turned into the KCBS, they have no right threatening teams for asking about policy or to bring to their attention a potential issue. I just looked at the reps for this contest and I have to say I am surprised that they would act in such a way. I have "known" them for several years and they have been nothing but very professional. The 3rd rep at this comp I don't have any experience with so maybe it was him.

Last edited:

wallace

Who were the Reps?

Back