• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Performer

Is the Performer with the gas igniter worth the extra money over the OTG? It seems like a huge jump in money, to me.
This is a personal matter.
My BBQ area has limited space, I need to keep it flexable. I choose an OTG and got 2 small side tables which I can move around and use with my WSMs as well. I like my 22 1/2" OTG so much, I just got a 26 3/4" one too. :razz:
I use a high output propane torch to light the charcoal in my WSM, it works just as good in my OTG.

Can a kettle smoke meat as well as a WSM? I'm talking about the taste of the finished product not temperature control or convenience. It sounds like WSM controls temp better and requires less attention during the burn.
On a short smoke, with a small amount of food, kettles are great.
On a longer smoke, WSMs are better due to their fuel and grate capacity.

Last edited:
I bought a Performer Platinum in black today. I just finished assembling it. I can't wait to use it tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

This is a personal matter.
My BBQ area has limited space, I need to keep it flexable. I choose an OTG and got 2 small side tables which I can move around and use with my WSMs as well. I like my 22 1/2" OTG so much, I just got a 26 3/4" one too. :razz:
I use a high output propane torch to light the charcoal in my WSM, it works just as good in my OTG.

On a short smoke, with a small amount of food, kettles are great.
On a longer smoke, WSMs are better due to their fuel and grate capacity.

I would have been happy with starting using a chimney or torch, but my wife would not use a torch or a chimney. She scared she'll catch something on fire. :loco::loco:

Can a kettle smoke meat as well as a WSM? I'm talking about the taste of the finished product not temperature control or convenience. It sounds like WSM controls temp better and requires less attention during the burn.

I have both, and unless I'm making a whole mess of food, use the Performer more often for smoking. I did two 7-pound butts on it this weekend and they turned out great. I wouldn't do an overnight smoke on the performer, but only adjusted it a couple of times during last weekend's session.

Back