Duck Bacon

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Prior to starting my duck proscuitto thread, I saw a thread by Gore where he used uncured duck bacon. I exchanged a quick PM with him to get his thoughts and was convinced I needed to give it a try. The comments on the proscuitto thread reinforced the thought.

Followed the same method as I did for the proscuitto (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158436&highlight=duck) but instead of hanging to dry, I gave the breasts about 4 hours of cold smoke last nigh using the AMNPS with cherry pellets. Put it back in the fridge overnight and left it alone until I got home from work tonight.

Cut a few slices, it looked just like the proscuitto did, but did not have the same texture to it.

Fried them fairly crisp

FARK ME!!! It was outstanding. Really exceeded my expectations. I noticed how much fat had rendered out and was still in the pan, so I cracked an egg in there, got around some bread and cheese, stopped myself from eating it all, and came up with this.

I think I have a new favorite sandwich.

Wow, that looks delicious! I'm so glad you tried it. I never got back to say how good the stuff was. My girls did not want to try it as it looked scary, not like any other bacon they've had and they thought it was burnt. I finally convinced them to try a nibble. That's one of the dumbest things I ever did because I never saw them eat so much bacon before. Would've been nice if they saved me some. :doh:

Back