• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comparable to BGE - getting great reviews. Thoughts?

For the money, it's a great little cooker. I purchased it because the BGE is out of my range. If you're on a budget, it's a great buy. If money is not an option, I'd go with a BGE.

I believe those are the re-branded Akorn's. Check JMSetzler's reviews, he's had one for quite a while now.

Bought one a month or so ago, havent hardly looked at my other smokers since, they feel neglected.

Look closely at the box before you buy one and make sure its a newer model, you can tell as the top vent is black instead of silver.They fixed a lot of the bugs in this model.Keep an eye out when I bought mine Menards had em on sale for 249$ trying to get rid of the older models, but they had one new one stuck in the back of the pile I dug out and got for the sale price:eusa_clap

Very versatile little grill for the money, you can go from a long slow cook to searing steaks at 600 degrees in just a few minutes by opening the dampers.Works as a pizza oven and I have even been cooking on it with my dutch oven.If your real anal about air leakage you can seal it up very tight by adding a 10$ roll of BGE felt gasket in spots.

I would buy another in a heartbeat. Its amazing that the same company that makes the smokin pro w side fire box aka el cheapo offset also makes the akorn.

Almost forgot, make sure you purchase a digital thermometer, the dome thermometer on these is nowhere close to the actual temp at the grate level, mines routinely off by 70-100 degrees depending on how hot Im cooking

The dome thermometer is crap. But I've had mine for a year and I love it. I've posted a bunch about it here.

Yeah, I'm dedicated to my UDS for now, might get an Akorn in a few months. A buddy and I were talking about getting BGEs when our drums finally keel over, and came across this thing. Looks awesome! Thanks for the insights.

If you are not iv a hurry, wait for a sale. Amazon had them for $216 delivered a while back. Just be patient - low & slow :)

The akorn has been dsscussed many times on this forum

Search for the posts

It's been out for over a year

Last edited by a moderator:
Back