• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first ever Tri Tip....

Tonybel

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here's what I did...Seasoned with Gary's all purpose seasoning.

1363572521.jpg

1363572405.jpg

Here's where it gets interesting :)
I did a marinade with 10 cloves ( finely chopped) garlic,1/2 onion, 1/4 cup of wostershire , 1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce. Left in the fridge for 6 hours.

1363572634.jpg

Quick sear on both sides..

1363572635.jpg

Indirect heat with a chunk of hickory and pulled when temp hit 140.

1363572637.jpg

Only sliced half...

1363572433.jpg

Plated with potato salad and bbq beans from Saturdays cook. Thanks for looking. Any suggestions are welcomed. I can't believe I lived without trip tip all this time.

1363572435.jpg

I'd hit it hard too. My only suggestion would be to try a reverse sear next time (sear after a low n slow cook), and remove from the sear when internal temp hits 125-130. Then let rest for 20-30 minutes loosely tented under foil, the temp will continue to rise during rest period and end up at 135-140 when sliced.

You get a perfect med rare from center to edge this way.

I'd hit it hard too. My only suggestion would be to try a reverse sear next time (sear after a low n slow cook), and remove from the sear when internal temp hits 125-130. Then let rest for 20-30 minutes loosely tented under foil, the temp will continue to rise during rest period and end up at 135-140 when sliced.

Personally, I would second El Ropo.... Although I often have to cook 2 at the same time because my wife likes it cooked well done & likes to take it for lunches..... Although, IMO, Tri Tip is still pretty good when medium+ cooked.

+1 for the reverse sear

reverse sear...do two also...one for you so you dont have to share this beauty!!!
almost breakfast time.....eggs...raw fries/bacon....tri tip..mmmmmm

Thanks Ropo. I will do follow your recommendations next time.

Living in so cal, I can't believe that's the first one you have cooked!

I was thinking the same thing....lol..

Great first time tri-tip Tonybel! I also like mine a med-rare. But my wife, also Maribel, will take her cooked portion and stick them in the microwave til well done.

Tony, for your first tritip, looks like you've been doing it for quite a while. That's splendid looking and I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. There are many ways to cook a tritip, and it is worth it to try them all out. Around here, unless it's Santa Maria style, I let my brother cook 'em as his are the best. He low temp grills them directly, turning frequently and oh la la, who can explain? We slice it right on the grill and eat it from there. Never makes it to the plate, and oh what a treat to enjoy it that way-- this I do recommend you try. Once again, excellent work!

Living in so cal, I can't believe that's the first one you have cooked!

I know...I just got in bbq a few years ago. I would see the tri tip but didn't know how to cook it and carne asada was a lot cheaper here in Cali.

I was thinking the same thing....lol..

Great first time tri-tip Tonybel! I also like mine a med-rare. But my wife, also Maribel, will take her cooked portion and stick them in the microwave til well done.

My wife told me that any more rare she would put it back on the grill. Your wife into bbq and sports, boxing? My wife is down for what ever and when ever...

Back