WGA advice

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Finally fired up the WGA for a test run.
I use charcoal and never briquettes, so is this my problem?
What happened is, I loaded and lit the charcoal, got it really hot, and the fire faded from there.
It faded with the lid on and all vents wide open, it faded with the lid off.
In the end I stood there fanning to get the grilling done.
If this is the future ill sell it on, I need my hands for drinking!

Anyone else use charcoal?

BTW the charcoal is fine, working perfectly in the BSKeg.:confused:

Maybe try a minion style burn? I usually use lump in mine - I'll pour some lit on top of unilt. Phu uses those coconut briq thingees, which are Phantastic and probably the best for such a cooker. Don't sell it! You will come to love it after you get it dialed - it's a great cooker. I especially like the portability.

by charcoal you mean lump ? if so then lump must be packed, it will not burn on its own if spread out. i usually use briquettes but have done lump packed on one side with no problems. if you can find coconut briq or anything from coconuts then that would be a great choice.

by charcoal you mean lump ? if so then lump must be packed, it will not burn on its own if spread out. i usually use briquettes but have done lump packed on one side with no problems. if you can find coconut briq or anything from coconuts then that would be a great choice.

Yes George, this charcoal is hardwood per burnt black sooty goodness.
I packed as best I could but the gap between the bottom rack and the top is narrow, some pieces are big and layering was impossible.

I haven't seen the coconut gear but perhaps that is available now down here, I must check it out.
Still not sure if charcoal ( lump) will be possible to use.
I prefer it to anything else I've tried so far.

yea, not sure what brand you have but if its got large chunks you will have to break it down. we can get stuff here that has large chunks and others that have smaller stuff. i use the one with the smaller stuff and still have to break down the bigger pieces anyway.

Ive called but nobody has the coconut BBQ fuel, so I'll just have to keep playing with lump methods.
Thanks for advice!:yo:

I have used lump charcoal and briquettes in my WGA with no problem. Maybe you got some wet ones?? My little WGA will get up to 450-500 degrees F if I am not careful when I am using lump charcoal.

I typically throw the lump on both ends and use aluminum foil to block the heat for an indirect cook over the center of the little bugger. Ask Phubar and Padawan...

by the way, thats why i made an expanded metal grate to put over the regular coal grate so the lump would not fall through so easily.

IMG_0582.jpg

Finally fired up the WGA for a test run.
I use charcoal and never briquettes, so is this my problem?
What happened is, I loaded and lit the charcoal, got it really hot, and the fire faded from there.
It faded with the lid on and all vents wide open, it faded with the lid off.
In the end I stood there fanning to get the grilling done.
If this is the future ill sell it on, I need my hands for drinking!

Anyone else use charcoal?

BTW the charcoal is fine, working perfectly in the BSKeg.:confused:

Haven't tried lump charcoal yet, but I can imagine the size of the lump charcoal would matter. Perhaps you can use smaller pieces.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk

Never really had trouble with either lump or briqs...only times that the Phire wasn't getting hot enough was because of too much ash and junk blocking the airPhlow and bad briqs.

Never really had trouble with either lump or briqs...only times that the Phire wasn't getting hot enough was because of too much ash and junk blocking the airPhlow and bad briqs.

Hmmm, no probs with air flow and charcoal is fine, using it in the BSKEG.
Ill try George's idea and crack up the lump next time.
Thanks for the help, y'all.

Back