If Your Foodsaver Seems Weak....

Just bought one last week Friday. sealed up a bunch for my son to take off to school and had problems withe the very last bags............You guys are da Bomb :eusa_clap

Also another problem is that the pump does need a rest after doing a bunch of bags. When I first got mine I made about a dozen packages. Toward the end I started having trouble and found that it did fine after I gave it about 30 minutes to cool off.

Update: So cleaning the gasket only really helped that one time.

I am never buying another Foodsaver. I am officially in the market for a Weston.

What about double sealing? I often find myself pulling out the FS for a single mission and I want to make it worth while. So, I double seal both sides for good measure. I haven't had a seal failure in the past few weeks since I've been doing that. Worthwhile? I think so, even though a single seal on each side should work.

Thanks for the tip!...... Another tip I heard recently is to NOT store the top & bottom in the closed (down) position, as the seal will become compressed..... Been through I think 4 FS in the past 25+- years & never heard that 1 before.... Might be worth a try?

I'm a firm believer that the appliances are alive and feel threatened and turn their life around when we threaten replacement. I can't tell you the amount of times i've had devices stop working where I tell my wife Im going to get a new one and magically it starts working again!

What about double sealing? I often find myself pulling out the FS for a single mission and I want to make it worth while. So, I double seal both sides for good measure. I haven't had a seal failure in the past few weeks since I've been doing that. Worthwhile? I think so, even though a single seal on each side should work.

Thanks but the issue with mine isn't the seal, its the strength of the pump. Its creating a good seal, it just isn't pulling all of the air out.

Now do you have any tips for keeping tiny food particles out of seal? I use a lot of bags. Frequently, putting the food into the bag leaves food residue on the top of the bag on the rough side. It will seal, but it leaks later.
I have an extra bag that I put the food in first, striving to keep food stuff off the outside of this bag. Then I insert it into the bag I plan to seal with the open end toward the bottom and pull out the inner bag. That usually leaves the upper portion of the bag I'm going to seal clean and dry.

If I see the vacuum sucking moisture out of the food and toward the seal, I hit the seal button (hopefully) before it gets to the seal area. For some really moist foods I put a piece of paper toweling in the bag.

I do not store my Foodsaver with the lid latched. I just set the lid down and put a piece of tape on it to keep it from flopping open during storage. So far the seals seem to be in good shape.

I've had many of the same issues as noted in other posts, especially with moist foods. A couple years ago, I started partially freezing moist foods uncovered for about an hour before vacu-sucking them. Haven't had a problem since. :mrgreen:

I've had many of the same issues as noted in other posts, especially with moist foods. A couple years ago, I started partially freezing moist foods uncovered for about an hour before vacu-sucking them. Haven't had a problem since. :mrgreen:

Best advice yet!

I have also cleaned the pump by using the hose to suck in about 1 oz warm water. Then empty the drain cup. Follow that with a quick shot of silicone lubricant.

Back