Acorn now or ceramic later

i have no idea what an akorn is but if its like settling for the v6 phony pony mustang instead of the v8 gt mustang... i would save and wait and buy the v8

I've got a Primo XL and an Akorn. They are both very good smokers/grills. I've done the mods on the Akorn in regards to the gaskets and it's still not great holding temps. Especially if it's windy. Now maybe it's just MY unit because I've seen the vids and know it's possible.

I also am concerned about how all that metal is going to hold up in a few years.

There is a huge gap between a $700-$800 BGE and the Akorn. My opinion is: if you don't see yourself having enough money in the long term for a ceramic cooker, then the Akorn is a solid compromise.

I'm happy with my Akorn, have cooked tons of good food on it, and don't feel like I "settled" for anything-it's a great cooker, don't see how I would be any happier with a ceramic. As a matter of fact, I would rather have the Akorn because it's portable. I've cooked on the green cult cooker, and I just don't honestly see much difference. As for the "mods" everybody talks about, I've been using mine nearly a year just exactly like it came out of the box, and it holds temp for hours and hours like an oven. I don't see what the alleged leak and not holding temp problems are myself, because I've never experienced any of them?

But then, I'm not a snob, either. Some folks just can't seem to like something no matter how well it functions, unless it's really expensive and hip and all the cool kids like it. :biggrin1: I don't have to have a ferrari to drive to work, and I don't have to have a $1000 grill to cook good food on.

I think people sometimes put more emphasis on the cooker than the cook, or define themselves by what cooker they own. If you're a good cook, you can turn out good food on anything from a campfire to a top-of-the-line cooker. The only difference in most cases is learning curve and ease of operation. I love my Akorn for long cooks, simply because I can set it and forget it. I usually dont adjust vents more than maybe a couple small adjustments during an 8-10 hour cook. To me, that's the advantage of any kamado style cooker, along with the ability to use it like a wood-fired oven to bake pizzas and stuff. I don't use mine much for high-heat grilling, it's easier and better to do that on my barrel grill, IMO.

I'm happy with my Akorn, have cooked tons of good food on it, and don't feel like I "settled" for anything-it's a great cooker, don't see how I would be any happier with a ceramic. As a matter of fact, I would rather have the Akorn because it's portable. I've cooked on the green cult cooker, and I just don't honestly see much difference. As for the "mods" everybody talks about, I've been using mine nearly a year just exactly like it came out of the box, and it holds temp for hours and hours like an oven. I don't see what the alleged leak and not holding temp problems are myself, because I've never experienced any of them?

But then, I'm not a snob, either. Some folks just can't seem to like something no matter how well it functions, unless it's really expensive and hip and all the cool kids like it. :biggrin1: I don't have to have a ferrari to drive to work, and I don't have to have a $1000 grill to cook good food on.

Couldn't agree more. Go look at both. Hit up a local comp, sure to be an egg or joe around. You can't hurt the akorn. Even if you tried. Bang for the buck it's hard to find an insulated smoker / Grill at the 299 price point.

That being said, I think ceramic will last longer. I've seen eggs that are pretty old (some needed parts replaced, but after a decade of use they are still functioning). Will the akorn last that long? Not sure. Time will tell.

Hit up John, he has used both. john@setzler.net

Oh yeah, if ya haven't already, check out the man cave meals akorn videos on YouTube. John did a knockout job on the videos.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I say try both. The akorn is cheaper so get it now. See if you still want a ceramic cooker later. If you feel like you settledfor less, then get the ceramic when you can.

Since $ is a concern, get the Akorn. Based on the number of satisfied owners, it seems like the right choice at this time. Since you already have a OTG and a WSM, is there a particular reason you want a kamado style cooker?

I've been comparing and considering the same choice for months now: Akorn or Kamado Joe? Normally I'm one to save up for the highest quality version of whatever it is I want. And if I was only going to have one do-it-all cooker, I'd almost certainly go Kamado Joe. But with 3 charcoal Webers, a gasser, and a UDS mid-build, I think the Akorn would more than suit my needs. And the tinkerer in me would enjoy doing all the little tricks and mods you see JM feature in his vids. +1 on the great job he did, and continues to do!

i seem to be lost, isnt the akorn a kamado cooker so therefore it is ceramic?

I sat back and waited to see how long before I would take the plunge for a ceramic grill. Then along came the Akorn. I went and looked at it in the store for my own evaluation....I read the reviews....heard of what some people had to do to them.

I decided to go ahead and get the Akorn. I am very happy with it. I did have one small crack near the lower door that I sealed. With that being said, I still love the Akorn. Last year took it on a camping trip. Put on some food at about 7:00PM...well after eating, we all got 'side-tracked' and later headed to bed.....next morning woke up about 7....grill was still holding at 250!

To me, it's not about the name or type of grill or smoker. It's the food that comes off of it. I continue to use my pellet grill and the Akorn....and both produce great BBQ.

i seem to be lost, isnt the akorn a kamado cooker so therefore it is ceramic?

The shell of the Akorn is made of inner and outter steel walls with insulation sandwiched between, more like a Bubba Keg, so not ceramic the way BGE / Kamado Joe / Primo / etc. are.

Last edited:
Since $ is a concern, get the Akorn. Based on the number of satisfied owners, it seems like the right choice at this time. Since you already have a OTG and a WSM, is there a particular reason you want a kamado style cooker?

Fair question. I'm looking for something that will do a pizza like I like 'em. That and I'm consumed with the BBQ obsession and need a new toy. :becky:

Fair question. I'm looking for something that will do a pizza like I like 'em. That and I'm consumed with the BBQ obsession and need a new toy. :becky:

I think you'd like it. Here are some Akorn pizzas:

Attachments

• akornpizza.jpg
    akornpizza.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 80
  • akornpizzadeux.jpg
    akornpizzadeux.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 80
  • akornpizzatres.jpg
    akornpizzatres.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 80

I think people sometimes put more emphasis on the cooker than the cook, or define themselves by what cooker they own. If you're a good cook, you can turn out good food on anything from a campfire to a top-of-the-line cooker. The only difference in most cases is learning curve and ease of operation. I love my Akorn for long cooks, simply because I can set it and forget it. I usually dont adjust vents more than maybe a couple small adjustments during an 8-10 hour cook. To me, that's the advantage of any kamado style cooker, along with the ability to use it like a wood-fired oven to bake pizzas and stuff. I don't use mine much for high-heat grilling, it's easier and better to do that on my barrel grill, IMO.

Well said. Thanks.

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it. I'm leaning towards getting the Akorn now and saving for down the road. We'll see. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it. I'm leaning towards getting the Akorn now and saving for down the road. We'll see. I'll keep ya'll posted.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmWZ7h-aZdw"]Char-Griller Kamado Kooker (Akorn) Grill/Smoker Review Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

The shell of the Akorn is made of inner and outter steel walls with insulation sandwiched between, more like a Bubba Keg, so not ceramic the way BGE / Kamado Joe / Primo / etc. are.

interesting way to do it i guess. if it works it works. haha. SO im guessing a ceramic will hold the heat longer?

Back