Brisket Injection Stains

Ackman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have only done one competition but spending the winter practicing -- cooked two briskets today, used Kosmo's injection on one and Butchers on the other. I used beef stock as part of the solution on both. Both briskets has circular dark stains where the injection went in. I think it is safe to assume that won't be well received in competition. Can you not use beef stock as an injection?

I think Butchers recommends that you use water or cut it half and half with beef broth. Also I believe most people are using distilled water to keep the chlorine from changing the color of the meat.

I have only done one competition but spending the winter practicing -- cooked two briskets today, used Kosmo's injection on one and Butchers on the other. I used beef stock as part of the solution on both. Both briskets has circular dark stains where the injection went in. I think it is safe to assume that won't be well received in competition. Can you not use beef stock as an injection?

I don't use beef stock as a injection fluid, just water, but I noticed the stains if I didn't use a new needle, and syringe.

Use the kosmos 2.5 cups boiled spring water like ozarka to 1/2 cup injection, stir, let sit overnight, strain with very fine meet strainer and inject from the side of the meat against the grain with a injector that has 12 holes in a 6" long needle. You can get them from academy. Presto no injection stains. I never get em

I found a cure for injection stains. A dip in a really dark au jus after slicing stains the whole slice and its a very appetizing color. If the drippings aren't dark enough you can add a little instant coffee. It does the trick, and the flavor blends right in.

How much beef stock did you use? At one point we used 1/2 cup of beef stock in our injection and never had staining.

I have found the same thing Q-Dat. Even the two guys whose BBQ class I have taken have injection stains on their brisket. But once you dip or coat them with the Au Jus, they are hardly noticeable!

I always put my needles through the anti-bacterial wash setting on the dishwasher before I use them. I've used both water and beef broth mixtures, never had any stains so far.

Use the kosmos 2.5 cups boiled spring water like ozarka to 1/2 cup injection, stir, let sit overnight, strain with very fine meet strainer and inject from the side of the meat against the grain with a injector that has 12 holes in a 6" long needle. You can get them from academy. Presto no injection stains. I never get em

I've got this needle, never thought about using it to inject brisket with it. How many spots do you inject with this thing? How far apart? Thanks

I only used about half a cup of beef stock. I used a brand new syringe, right out of the wrapper.

Been using Kosmo's for years mixed with water and sanitized injiction needles...never had a stain.:cool:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I've never had a stain from either product when mixing with water.

I've got this needle, never thought about using it to inject brisket with it. How many spots do you inject with this thing? How far apart? Thanks
2 spots on one side of the flat, 2 sides on the other slightly offset. Put the remaining in the point. Tell ya anymore and my wife will shoot me!

Is it this bad boy?

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s..._10151_10051_522194_-1__?Ntt=injector&Ntk=All

I got one for Christmas, but I'm afraid the needle is so big it'll leave holes in the meat. Are you seeing this?
Ok I lied!
Dat be da 1! If you inject from the side, and trim your brisket according to how you plan to slice it for turn In, you'll never notice or even see any. If yer skeered, get a guard dog! :boxing:
It's all about resting the meat and letting the injection spread. I dont care what anybody says, injecting from the side and cutting parallel to the injectiOn site is 1000 times better

HOLY CRAP that is way too much work!

We use Butcher's like recommended and make sure you inject with the grain of the meat and don't have streak issues and it tastes good too!

I have always injected butts and briskets for comps and many times at home.
I have used FAB, Butchers, and Kosmos at various times.
I have never, ever, had staining from any of them.

But, I have had staining when I tried Soy Sauce or higher levels of some brands of Whorsy sauce.

As to Beef Stock--I used it for awhile, but finally figured out that I created a "pot roast" tinge which the Judges (and I) did not like at all. :redface:

TIM

Back