Forgive Me Brethren

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Still new to this and finished my 4th or 5th brisket today. I've been happy with the results so far but I'm still having problems with the flat being dry. Not leather dry but not juicy either. Tender but dry maybe? Anyways...

I'm not sure where I picked up the notion, but every brisket attempt so far I've separated the flat and point to make burnt ends. After researching tri-level brisket posts by Popdaddy and PMT I figured I'd just slice the point tonight. That magical, juicy, sexiness I've been searching for in my flats has been waiting for me in the point all this time. First time in a while that I broke out in dance after taste testing. Had some Gap Band rockin in the kitchen, doing my truffle shuffle, and wifey walks in. After shoving some meat in her mouth she understood.

Forgive me elder brethren for chopping and torching mouthgasm point meat.

Yeah, burnt ends are not the end-all-be-all of brisket. I never cook "for" burnt ends...they are a product of my overall effort. I always cook the packer intact. But, that's just me. YMMV! But, in fact, briskets are a bit more challenging than other que!! I love sliced point when it's fresh.

Still new to this and finished my 4th or 5th brisket today. I've been happy with the results so far but I'm still having problems with the flat being dry. Not leather dry but not juicy either. Tender but dry maybe? Anyways...

I'm not sure where I picked up the notion, but every brisket attempt so far I've separated the flat and point to make burnt ends. After researching tri-level brisket posts by Popdaddy and PMT I figured I'd just slice the point tonight. That magical, juicy, sexiness I've been searching for in my flats has been waiting for me in the point all this time. First time in a while that I broke out in dance after taste testing. Had some Gap Band rockin in the kitchen, doing my truffle shuffle, and wifey walks in. After shoving some meat in her mouth she understood.

Forgive me elder brethren for chopping and torching mouthgasm point meat.

Finally sanity prevails. We give the flats to the uninformed and the children at my house and eat the point. I make a whole 12 lb packer just to get the 2.5 lbs of point! burnt ends (as good as they are) are taking the best part of the brisket and turning it into some kind of parlor trick (kidding, of course). I make stuff like that out of the flat but the point is sacred down here. Now you know why. Welcome to the club. Secret handshake instructions to follow.

Hell, if anyone needs to apologize to the brethren today it is me. I cooked my brisket in the oven today :doh::tape::doh:

Hell, if anyone needs to apologize to the brethren today it is me. I cooked my brisket in the oven today :doh::tape::doh:

Some things are better not spoken aloud. We all do things we are not proud of the key is to not do it often or get caught doing it!

You have finally came into the light:eusa_clap the point is my favorite part of the brisket and I Never waste it on burnt ends. The flat can be fickle due to lack of marbling. Save any dippings left in your foil and separate the fat, save it. the next brisket warm up the fat and inject it into the flat. If you don't have any use canolla oil. Works like larding lean meats such as venison. :thumb:

Back