Jeebas's UDS Build

Jeebas

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Here is my UDS build - Fairly standard setup - no weld firebasket instead of a charcoal grate I used these cooking grates that came with the 15 gallon brewpots on my brewing system.

In the workshop next to the brewing system.

DSC_0596.JPG

I drilled all holes before the burnout, which was probably backwards, but it worked for me.

DSC_0599.JPG

I cut the bejesus out of my hands on the expanded metal - lesson learned - wear gloves!

IMG_0470.JPG

Pizza pan for an ash-catcher. It works pretty well, a tabletop grill would be better but what I've got works with little issue.

DSC_0712.JPG

The burnout

DSC_0714.JPG

Day after the burnout.

DSC_0719.JPG

Wire wheeled after the burnout.

DSC_0720.JPG

Greased up for the first cook

DSC_0722.JPG

Overloaded fire basket

DSC_0723.JPG

Ready to go

DSC_0725.JPG

Smokin away

DSC_0730.JPG

Spareribs, kielbasa and chorizo - the first cook

DSC_0736.JPG

nom nom nom

DSC_0737.JPG

Pork butt for the next cook

DSC_0766.JPG

And some more sausages

DSC_0772.JPG

I just picked up a Maverick ET-7 as the digital probe thermo that I had before that didn't work very well or have instructions in English. It works fairly well but the remote aspect of it is useless as apparently it loses the signal once I take the receiver inside my house. Oh well the remote aspect was just a bonus anyways.

I plan on adding a shelf to put the transmitter on, with a hook or two for utensils and / or gloves.

Eventually we are gonna paint it - not sure what yet - and make a base for it with wheels. So far its worked perfectly doing what its meant to do - cook good food!

Great job!! That's a fine looking drum. Food looks tasty too!

I cut the bejesus out of my hands on the expanded metal - lesson learned - wear gloves!

IMG_0470.JPG
Yeah, they need to put warning labels on that stuff. After I got done I looked like I'd been arm wrestling Edward Scissorhands.

Great job on the drum.

Yeah, they need to put warning labels on that stuff. After I got done I looked like I'd been arm wrestling Edward Scissorhands.

Great job on the drum.

Nice build and pron! They are fuel misers. If got the ventilation really sealed, you can shut it down and reuse the coals for every cook and just add what you think you used from the last one.

Yup you rocked the drum and the cook. Uds builds have to be hurting Weber sales they have to be.

Looking good man, I have a drum but I've really been dragging my feet building a UDS. I think I'm just lazy. Hope your all healed up!

So easy a caveman could do it! Well, most cavemen.... :evil:

Am I seeing correctly, one level and no diffuser? Hows it been maintaining the temps? Looks nice.

Looks good!! UDS and homebrew...what more could a person ask for!? :grin:

Have used expanded for a few fire baskets now, brother I feel your pain!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Am I seeing correctly, one level and no diffuser? Hows it been maintaining the temps? Looks nice.

I only did one level for now since I didn't have a 22" dome lid to put up top, I just have a flat barrel lid I got when I picked up the barrel. when I get hands on a dome lid, I may add another level, but it might purely be for a diffuser / drip pan - Even filling up one grate with food is more than enough for 3 meals for my family.

It maintains fairly well. Once I get it locked in it has held around 250 (what I have generally been cooking at) I can close off the capped intakes and open the ball valve slightly and it holds. Now that I have a semi-decent digital thermo I will probably be able to monitor this better.

Sometimes smoke comes out of the lid at places other than the exhaust but that doesn't seem to have any negative effect on things - I ran this for 12 hours on 10 lbs of charcoal and still had a good amount left over.

Taking it with me (somehow I'm gonna fit it in my Dodge Caliber, my wife was not about to let me put the smoker in the new minivan) on a cabin trip next weekend - gonna go spares, beef back ribs, fatties and kielbasa all weekend hopefully.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I only did one level for now since I didn't have a 22" dome lid to put up top, I just have a flat barrel lid I got when I picked up the barrel. when I get hands on a dome lid, I may add another level, but it might purely be for a diffuser / drip pan - Even filling up one grate with food is more than enough for 3 meals for my family.

It maintains fairly well. Once I get it locked in it has held around 250 (what I have generally been cooking at) I can close off the capped intakes and open the ball valve slightly and it holds. Now that I have a semi-decent digital thermo I will probably be able to monitor this better.

Sometimes smoke comes out of the lid at places other than the exhaust but that doesn't seem to have any negative effect on things - I ran this for 12 hours on 10 lbs of charcoal and still had a good amount left over.

Taking it with me (somehow I'm gonna fit it in my Dodge Caliber, my wife was not about to let me put the smoker in the new minivan) on a cabin trip next weekend - gonna go spares, beef back ribs, fatties and kielbasa all weekend hopefully.

i easily fit a 55 gal. drum in the back of a scion TC once so i'm sure you can get it in the dodge caliber if the seats are laid down :thumb:

Back