View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
Well known pitmasters?..the only one on that list that is well known is Chris Lilly..Donald Link is a badass chef too but not a pitmaster..I mean how many GC's do the rest of those guys on the list have combined?..my guess is not very many.

Really??

Okay, I'll bite.

First: I don't define BBQ pitmasters by how many GCs they have won or how many TV shows they have appeared on (Sorry Myron).

Great BBQ is a highly subjective thing.

In NC BBQ is very narrowly defined as smoked pork (shoulder or whole hog, but NEVER ribs)

In Texas true BBQ is beef.

(I'm just going to leave the west coast out of this one, as they have no true BBQ identity, even though there is some great Q to be had here)

The only way I know to truly judge how good someone's BBQ is to see how many folks spend their hard earned cash to go seek it out and pay for it.

Rodney Scott of Scott's BBQ is not as well known (at least out west) as Chris Lilly, but I doubt you will find many folks in the South who are not familiar with Scott's BBQ.

Jim & Nicks is newer to the southern bbq scene than Big Bob's or Scott's, but is still a big hitter.

As far as the GCs are concerned, I think you will have to agree - competition bbq is in no way similar to "real bbq" (tongue-in-cheek - calm the fark down!).
Unfortunately there are way too many competition cooks that think just because they can cook great muffin pan chicken and candied ribs, they can cook great BBQ.

I also doubt there are many GC winners that could cook pork on a COS without foil, brines and injections and walk away with a trophy in this crowd, however if you are interested in proving me wrong, they are still accepting entrants...

Next...

Last edited by SirPorkaLot; 09-14-2012 at 05:05 PM..
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote