Big Creek BBQ's 2006 Schedule

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It looks like MOST contests are now on the KCBS Web site so we've put together a tentative schedule for this year for Big Creek BBQ:

April 15-16: Osage City, Kansas
April 28-29: Warsaw, Missouri OR Sugar Creek, Missouri (can't decide)
May 25-27: Kansas City, Kansas (Great American BBQ)
June 2-3: Platte City, Missouri
June 16-17: Sedalia, Missouri
July 14-15: Grand Rapids, Michigan
July 28-29: Columbia, Missouri
August 4-5: Laurie, Missouri
August 25-26: Paola, Kansas
September 15-16: Kearney, Missouri
October 6-7: Kansas City, Missouri (American Royal BBQ)
October 13-14: DeSoto, Kansas

Any MoFos, KaFos or anyone else put together your schedules yet? The April 28-29 decision will probably be made based on where Team Q and the Meatheads decide to go. Would like to hook up with Jay at a contest somewhere so I can beat him with his own cooker! :biggrin:

Last edited:
That's quite a few contests, and am surprised you passed on Warrensburg, Marshall, and Blue Springs.......all a lot closer to you, Glasgow will be a good contest too. No Tiger Shrine-Columbia, Bass Pro-Columbia, or Herman listed yet either.....The MoFos and KanFos do have a lot of contests to choose from.

Also....please edit your title to read Big Creek BBQs personal 2006 contest schedule......I was expecting the full contest schedule or a link to one.

Solidkick said:
That's quite a few contests, and am surprised you passed on Warrensburg, Marshall, and Blue Springs.......all a lot closer to you, Glasgow will be a good contest too. No Tiger Shrine-Columbia, Bass Pro-Columbia, or Herman listed yet either.....The MoFos and KanFos do have a lot of contests to choose from.

Also....please edit your title to read Big Creek BBQs personal 2006 contest schedule......I was expecting the full contest schedule or a link to one.

Hey Gary... here's a link: http://www.kcbs.us/search.jsp

I tried to edit the title to "My 2006 Schedule" but it still doesn't appear that way on the forum thread list. Can you help?

Anyway, in regards to Warrensburg, it is the week before Grand Rapids, Michigan and I figured I needed that time to get ready for the trip north. Right now, my wife and I are planning to spend a few days with her family in Michigan and then cook the contest. If for whatever reason the Michigan trip doesn't work out, I may still look into Warrensburg. We have a real estate office there that might decide to sponsor us. Marshall would give me three contests in three weeks. Tough go. But in everyone I've asked about area contests, no one has specifically said "You need to do Marshall" so I guess I'm not. No other reasons besides those two really. Blue Springs... right up the road... good contest... but a week before Kearney and last year, I enjoyed going up and visiting Wayne and the Meatheads. I may decide to judge that one or offer my services to pit bitch for Wayne. Bass Pro-Columbia would still be an option depending upon when it is. I could possibly replace another contest for that one. I think it's just a matter of finding a schedule of contests that I really enjoy doing and sticking with it. That may take 2-3 seasons to determine. As it is, the DeSoto, Kansas contest is awesome! I'd recommend that to anyone! The Royal... ehh... take it or leave it. May decide to just offer my services to another team for that one too unless by some miracle I get an invite. :roll:

If you don't have an "A" game at the first of the season, if you learn something from each contest, you should have one by the end of the season.......you're going to run up against some of the midwest's finest in some of these contests, see you out there, the Bellys prefer Miller Lite, the first case is on you......Jay prefers coffee, but it's a special recipe.......

That's pretty ambitious! Best of luck with a schedule like that.

Good luck dude. I hope you still have a marriage and a job with all of that. Back to back is tough. Just ask Phil.

BrooklynQ said:
Good luck dude. I hope you still have a marriage and a job with all of that. Back to back is tough. Just ask Phil.

Yeah, Rob, that's three back to back's if I do the Royal too. Might seriously pass on that and just go down to party with some Brethren! There's a couple I couldn't miss according to Wayne... Osage City, Platte City and Laurie. Problem is, two of those would be my other back to back's. Oh well, if it costs my marriage and I put together an "A game", I guess I'll have to pay the piper and make that sacrifice! :wink:

Solidkick said:
If you don't have an "A" game at the first of the season, if you learn something from each contest, you should have one by the end of the season.......you're going to run up against some of the midwest's finest in some of these contests, see you out there, the Bellys prefer Miller Lite, the first case is on you......Jay prefers coffee, but it's a special recipe.......

I'll bring a case of Miller Lite to Columbia or whichever is the first contest we're at with the Bellys, Kick! And aren't you a Gatorade man? Friday night late, I always get on a 40 cup coffee maker so there'll be plenty as an ingredient for Jay's recipe! God, I hope it ain't Myer's he drops in there! :eek:

2 words.

Your nuts!

back to back to back?? Remember how u felt on Monday after a comp weekend? you didnt empty the trailer till tuesday/wednesday.. gues what.. u need to unpack, clean and wash, start packing and shopping and replenishing and repacking... and still go to work. if your doing that alone, it becomes NOT FUN fast. i would re-think that schedule. Only way it can work for that length of time is if you have a permanently stocked closed trailer that all u have to do is refill the coolers.

BBQchef33 said:
2 words.

Your nuts!

back to back to back?? Remember how u felt on Monday after a comp weekend? you didnt empty the trailer till tuesday/wednesday.. gues what.. u need to unpack, clean and wash, start packing and shopping and replenishing and repacking... and still go to work. if your doing that alone, it becomes NOT FUN fast. i would re-think that schedule. Only way it can work for that length of time is if you have a permanently stocked closed trailer that all u have to do is refill the coolers.

Phil, really, there's only two back to back's... none are three in a row. I draw the line at that. Shouldn't be too difficult. In fact, there's two times when I go about four weks between contests if this schedule pans out.

You mentioned an enclosed trailer to keep gear in loaded and ready to go. Actually, I'm planning better! You probably know by now I'm planning to purchase a Spicewine single axle trailer cooker which has some built in storage. Then my second purchase will be a van. I'm "negotiating" right now with a dealership to purchase a 2002 Ford Club Wagon van with about 50K miles on it for $10,000 or less. I'll also be paying off my piece o' crap Toyota so with down payment, the van will only run me around $175 a month which is over $100 less than my current Toyota payment. I can keep the van loaded minus the coolers and perishables. Jay's smokers seem to be really simple to clean out too so the way I see it, things are looking really positive! Just load the perishables, drinks, etc., hook up the cooker and pull out!

Jeff, Looks like I'll see ya a few times, here's my tentative schedule:

3-10 North KC, MO
4-14 Osage City, KS
4-21 Marshall,Warsaw, or Sugar Creek, MO
5-12 Lawrence, KS
5-19 OK Joe's, KC, KS
6-2 McClouth or Ft Scott, KS
6-9 Tonganoxie, KS
7-7 Great Bend, KS
7-21 Bellevue, NE
8-4 Laurie, MO
8-25 Paola, KS
9-8 Blue Springs, MO
9-15 Park City, KS
10-6 Royal
10-13 DeSoto, KS

Like I said, it may change some, but not a whole lot.

Wow Greg, that's a load! I thought MINE was bad! How many people do you have cooking with you. I don't recall seeing anyone besides you when Steve introduced us at DeSoto last October.

As for North Kansas City, I thought about it but potentially cold weather doesn't excite me after Harrisonville's late season contest last year! I was thinking of calling to see if I could judge that one.

Jeff, I have one teammate, Eric, and we cooked 13 last year. We split the work 50-50 and still manage to have plenty of time for having fun.
There are 15 contests on my list, we'll probably actually do 13-14. I cooked one solo last year, Marshall, and that was sure a lot of work, took most of the fun out of it. Wayne went with me last year to Great Bend when Eric couldn't get off, we had a blast.

Jeff do as many as you can. No one will criticize you if you don't make them all. I am jealous that I don't have as large a selection to choose from.

Last edited:
I am jealous that I don't have as large a selection to choose from.

We are incredibly fortunate here in that respect. Lots of contests to choose from at lots of different types of venues. My scheduling is going to be based on convient venue and maximum Brethren participation. I frankly don't need to spend the kind of $$$ required to do a contest to have someone tell me my Q is good, I know when it comes out good, and I sure as hell don't need to part with that many ducets to have someone tell me my Q sux, I know when it sux.
Contests for me are about hanging with some Brothers, meeting some new Q-folk and having some fun. It's great to have choices like we do here.

I cooked one solo last year, Marshall, and that was sure a lot of work, took most of the fun out of it.

God bless you my son, for enduring that one.......if I remember correctly, 30 mph winds from the north, a sleet storm in the early morning, everyone miserable.....I didn't cook it, I went up that morning to visit some Brethren, Bill Arnold, and 3 Little Pigs....I got there about 10 AM and didn't even stay for the awards....I was froze to the bone.......

This is my tentative schedule cooking in New England and the Mid-Atlantic area. Last year I drove 6000 miles and it looks like I'll be close to that again.

Salisbury MD 4/21-4/22
Bristol PA 5/19-5/20
Nashua NH 6/10-6/11
Asbury NJ 7/7-7/8
Wildwood NJ 7/14-7/15
Harpoon VT 7/22-7/23
Bel Air MD ?????
New Holland PA 8/25-8/26

LostNation said:
This is my tentative schedule cooking in New England and the Mid-Atlantic area. Last year I drove 6000 miles and it looks like I'll be close to that again.

Salisbury MD 4/21-4/22
Bristol PA 5/19-5/20
Nashua NH 6/10-6/11
Asbury NJ 7/7-7/8
Wildwood NJ 7/14-7/15
Harpoon VT 7/22-7/23
Bel Air MD ?????
New Holland PA 8/25-8/26

Grill Kings on Long Island is supposed to be 7/14. It would great to see you there if you don't feel like making the drive down to Wildwoood.

Jeff - you've got an ambitious plan. Good luck! A sage old restaurant manager told me: "Have a plan. It may not work out, but have a plan!" Be flexible and don't get frustrated if you have to miss a few due to family committments or health (flu, colds, broken bones!!)...have a great season.

Rich - I know what you mean about mileage...Tim and I have lots of contests in FL but with him in Marianna and me in Clearwater at least ONE of us usually has a road trip...I think I did about 3149 miles (not counting some judging) and Tim logged about 4902 (not counting judging)...and that's just on 4 contest for me and 6 for Tim (he assisted on a couple)...so, bro', I feel your pain!

So, everybody work out their plans...let's look forward to a spectacular season!

Back