• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS - Controlling Temp Spikes

Nice! I don't spritz, but I do get temp spikes when I have to flip a bunch of ABTs or otherwise futz with whatever is in the UDS and leave the lid off too long. This looks easier than closing off the bottom vents (on mine, anyway), or removing the racks and putting the lid back on while you flip/rearrange/taste the food.

Interested to see how it works after a few cooks. Will the grease foul the slide, and make it hard to open and close?

How big is the charcoal basket you are using, and how much charcoal do you usually use for a typical Rib-O-Lator cook on your drum?

Nice fabrication job on the damper, but what it seems you are doing when you are using it in the open position is cooking indirect. If thats the case you might be better off using a waterpan or heat deflector (gasp!) if you are having that big of a problem with temp spikes.

I don't see the ROL rotisserie ring setup you are using, so I can't gauge how you are using it.

I would suggest you use less charcoal and a smaller basket.

IMG_3090.jpg

just my 2cents

Will the grease foul the slide, and make it hard to open and close?

That was the only concern from day 1. We shall see. I'm hoping the grease should theoretically drip on the top disc or drip through the holes onto the fire. So when it slides, there isn't friction from the grease between the top and bottom disc. Wishful thinking :roll:

How big is the charcoal basket you are using, and how much charcoal do you usually use for a typical Rib-O-Lator cook on your drum?

Nice fabrication job on the damper, but what it seems you are doing when you are using it in the open position is cooking indirect. If thats the case you might be better off using a waterpan or heat deflector (gasp!) if you are having that big of a problem with temp spikes.

I don't see the ROL rotisserie ring setup you are using, so I can't gauge how you are using it.

I would suggest you use less charcoal and a smaller basket.

IMG_3090.jpg

just my 2cents

Charcoal basket is big...It's generally always at least half to 3/4 full prior to any cook.

Shouldn't be indirect considering my basket takes up most of the bottom of the drum. Yes it will cut down on some of the direct heat but I'm guessing it will act as a diffuser while open and have a dual purpose.

ROL setup is the weber extension ring on top of the drum. Still can access the handle to open/close.

You may want to try coating it with some Pam before installing in the drum. May eliminate the drippings sticking to it and making it hard to open and close. Interesting concept, like to hear how it comes out.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give an update for you guys. I didn't get to use the vent in a long cook this weekend like I wanted to. I did however use it while cooking some moinks and armadillo eggs for the Superbowl. I can say that it definitely seemed to help control the temp. I will use the iGrill this weekend on a longer cook and graph out the #'s. As for the concern of build up not allowing it to slide, most all of the build up after the first cook is on the top disc which is not interfering with the sliding motion. One thing to note is my top disc has smaller cutouts which means more surface area (so each cut-out is covered when closed) than the bottom disc to hopefully catch all that stuff. I'll keep ya posted.

Well damn it all to hell!! :-D

Feel like I wasted hours and dozens of dremel cutting discs :rolleyes:

Only had my drum for a little while and guess it sounds like I'm removing my lid too much.

I'm still going to give it a run and see how it goes. Worst case it may help act as a diffuser.

I was looking at your idea here and it's possibilities as a diffuser as well. I have three rack levels in my drum. The bottom rack is just where i place my pizza pan as a diffuser and sometimes set a drip pan on it as well. I think it would make an excellent diffuser system because you could choke down the coals much quicker with a device like that lower in the drum. The only problem I see with it would be getting it gunked up with drippings where it would not turn. It would also be more difficult to open and close underneath a cooking rack in the drum.

I'm liking this idea though... Think about it some more :)

To each his own on spritzing/basting. If you wanna do it, then do it. I say you built that thing, use it. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

I don't know how I missed this. I have never really had a problem with controlling temps while cooking. I have had serious issues with fire control while trying to remove finished product.

Once a year I. Cook 16-20 butts for a Church function. I have thus far done it over two days using one UDS and one WSM. Trying to manage 6-8 butts on two grates is almost impossible without flare ups. I have a video floating around that shows just how little time it takes for a drum to become dangerous.

I have visualized this exact concept. Exact. This will solve my issue. Thank you for the engineering.
I need one by April. How much to ship t to Arkansas?

The only problem I see with it would be getting it gunked up with drippings where it would not turn. It would also be more difficult to open and close underneath a cooking rack in the drum.

I'm liking this idea though... Think about it some more :)

Yeah..that's been the main concern and only time will tell. As for it being that low in the drum, I was able to cut out one handle on the grill which gives room for the lever but the longer the lever gets, the more it sways due to its weight. There are options there I guess on using a smaller but longer bolt for the lever.

To each his own on spritzing/basting. If you wanna do it, then do it. I say you built that thing, use it. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

Yep...I'm going to put it to use!

I have visualized this exact concept. Exact. This will solve my issue. Thank you for the engineering.
I need one by April. How much to ship t to Arkansas?

:grin: Don't really see how these can be mass produced considering everyone's drum is a little different based on how they built it. I'm already going to be swapping out my top U Bolts and hopefully using some sort of hinge that I can make go straight up so I can easily slide the vent in straight down. Currently I have to angle it and bend a little to get it to fit since it's almost the same diameter as the drum itself.

If the temps prove themselves this weekend I can definitely post a little more info on my design if you are interested in building one.

Awesome

Nice mod my man. As soon as I saw it I knew that it would work! I did something similar when I made my own daisy wheel exhaust for my wal-mart kettle lid that really was the bottom of the grill out of 2 sheets of aluminum. If the concept works up there it should down below. I'm going to be in the lab this weekend trying to make it work. Thanks!

Nice mod my man. As soon as I saw it I knew that it would work! I did something similar when I made my own daisy wheel exhaust for my wal-mart kettle lid that really was the bottom of the grill out of 2 sheets of aluminum. If the concept works up there it should down below. I'm going to be in the lab this weekend trying to make it work. Thanks!

It's definitely a geometry project....had me using those skills I learned back in high school that I swore I'd never use. I used 15 degree cuts just because that divided nicely into 360 to give me 12 equal sized gaps. The top disc I ended up cutting the gaps out a little smaller so I'd have sufficient coverage when closed up. You can see in the pic that the top disc is a bit smaller in diameter than the bottom disc. That really isn't needed because I changed the support system to be an aluminum X that goes across the bottom disc which is attached to the eye bolt and supports it instead of the 4 bolts. The 4 bolts caused the areas not supported to sag a bit because I didn't use a real stiff steel.

So if I were to do it again:

Make the center of the disc a tad bit bigger for strength
Same sized disc on top and bottom
Use thicker gauged steel or aluminum (but remember it needs to be somewhat flexible in case it's a real tight fit getting it in based on whatever you use for the grill supports)

Back