Offset vs vertical smoker. What's better to get started.

SenorSlacker

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I own a COS which is beginning to rust and I'm looking to upgrade. Should I look into purchasing a quality offset smoker or would I be better off with vertical smoker? What is the best bang for the dollar? I typically smoke 4 to 6 pork racks or 10 pounds of meat. I'm looking to spend under $800.00. That's all the wife will sign off on. :-D

Offset - usually more capacity, some say better flavor profile (I tend to agree), some like to tend the fire (I do), some don't. Quality offsets are pricey - I'm sure there are some in your price range but nothing comes to mind right off the bat - I'm sure it will right when I hit "submit".

Vertical - requires less tending, more economical, probably enough capacity for what you want to do.

Maybe clean the rust off of your COS and get a WSM and have both? :cool:

If you are patient, you can find a good deal on a backyard offset for well under $800. It looks like you are in the Phoenix area so you should have a good chance to find something. The trick is knowing with to look for. I have seen old school Oklahoma Joe's smokers (with the thick metal) or others for $400-$500. That would still leave you enough cash to buy a 22" WSM or build a couple UDS's.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]adjustable air-intake vents, buffed smooth welds, full size 1/4" thick heat deflector to minimize hotspots. These pits have the quality "Fit and Finish" of more expensive custom BBQ pits.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16” DIAMETER BUDGET GRILLS and SMOKERS[/FONT]​
[FONT=book antiqua,times new roman,times][/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua,times new roman,times][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16" x 24" Camper Grill: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SALE PRICE $514.00
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grill Dimensions: 16"W x 24"L
Inside cooking area: 15" wide with 23" long grill
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16" x 32" Single Lid Grill: SALE PRICE $604.00
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grill Dimensions: 16"W x 32"L
Inside cooking area: 15" wide with 30" long grill
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Approximately 150 lbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16" Wide x 32" Long Single Lid Smoker with Grill Firebox: SALE PRICE $824.00
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Smoker Dimensions: 16"W x 32"L
Inside cooking area: 15" wide with 30" long grill
Top half- shelf for cooking small items such as links, potatoes, etc.
Fire Box Dimensions: 16" Diameter, 18" Long
Inside Grill cooking area: 15" x 16"
(This is the area you supply the wood for longer and hotter cooking needs. You can cook over the flames once you have coals or you can use charcoal for smaller cooking.)
Approximately 290lbs
Outside Dimensions with Shelves included:
57"L x 25"W x 57"H
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16" Wide x 40" Long Single Lid Smoker with 16 " Grill Firebox: SALE PRICE $904.00
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Smoker Dimensions: 16"W x 40"L
Inside cooking area: 15" wide with 38" long grill
Top half- shelf for cooking small items such as links, potatoes, etc...
(This is the area you supply the wood for longer and hotter cooking needs. You can cook over the flames once you have coals or you can use charcoal for smaller cooking.)
Approximately 300lbs
67"L x 25"W x 47"H
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16" Wide x 40" Long Double Lid Smoker with 16 " Grill Firebox: SALE PRICE $949.00
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Smoker Dimensions: 16"W x 40"L
Inside cooking area: 15" wide with 38" long grill
Approximately 305 lbs
67"L x 25"W x 47"H
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20” DIAMETER BUDGET GRILL & SMOKERS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20” Wide x 24” Long Camper Grill: SALE PRICE $589.00
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grill Dimensions: 20"W x 24"L
Inside cooking area: 19" wide with 23" long grill
Approximately 175lbs
Outside Dimensions with Shelves included: 37"L x 29"W x 57"H
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20” Wide x 32” Long Single Lid Grill: SALE PRICE $684.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grill Dimensions: 20"W x 32"L
Inside cooking area: 19" wide with 30" long grill
Approximately 250lbs
42"L x 29"W x 61"H
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20" Wide x 32" Long Smoker Single Lid with 20" Grill Firebox: SALE PRICE $974.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Smoker Dimensions:
20"W x 32"L
Inside cooking area: 19" wide with 30" long grill

Fire Box Dimensions:
20" Diameter, 18" Long
Inside Grill cooking area: 19" x 16"

Approximately 450lbs
59"L x 29"W x 61"H
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20" Wide x 40" Long Single lid Smoker with 20" Grill Firebox: SALE PRICE $1174.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Smoker Dimensions:
20"W x 40"L
Inside Grill cooking area: 19" wide with 38" long grill

Fire Box Dimensions:
20" Diameter, 18 " Long
Inside Grill cooking area: 19" x 16"

Approximately 465lbs
68"L x 29"W x 61"H
[/FONT]

Info from GAtor Pits website these are their Budget Pits

My first Lang was a 48 patio model (1/4" plate steel)... might be able to find a used one around $1,000.
Excellent offset burning wood/charcoal. Definitely sized for the backyard.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Keep checking Craig's List. There are people here in SW and central Florida building offsets from propane tanks and pipe that are selling for $600-$800, so I'm certain someone in your area should be doing about the same thing.

That is a great looking smoker. Definitely need to keep my eyes open for something like this. Thanks!

My first Lang was a 48 patio model (1/4" plate steel)... might be able to find a used one around $1,000.
Excellent offset burning wood/charcoal. Definitely sized for the backyard.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

i went the offset route. i love my pit. BUT it was double the 800 buck budget. through my thorough searching, im not sure i found much in that price range that would be worth buying. gator pits does make those pits that someone listed above, however the 16" diameter ones seem a bit small. and also a pit 24" in length is quite small. even with a 1/4" heat deflector plate, there will still be a hot spot, and a 24" barrel doesnt seem like it would be long enough.

with that being said, on your budget u might want to look into the verticals. What about a WSM?

but if you were like me, and you enjoy tending the fire, and that real wood smell from the 100% wood fire, then go with an offset. either save up a little more money over time to buy a real quality offset or...

actually... now that i think of it, check out old country smokers. they look built nice, but they are 3/16th steel instead of 1/4. but the all american line they make look like nice smokers and are cheaper than any others mainly bc the steel is a little thinner, but still thick enough. seeing that you live in arizona, 3/16s should be plenty.

which leads me to another thing... SHIPPING. that was my problem. any quality offset is going to run you 450-600 bucks just for shipping. remember these things are 900+ lbs

Back