Chicken Parts....

T

Tommieblue

I know that many teams use chicken thighs as their preferred piece to turn in. Is there anyone out there that uses anything else, and does crispy chicken thigh skin exist, or is it like finding the holy grail, it's locked up in a warehouse someplace with "top men" with the raiders of "the lost ark"?

I think crispy skin is a myth. It may have been crispy going in the box, but after ten minutes of steaming inside a closed clamshell it's going to have lost a considerable amount of its original charm.

I've seen teams use drums and be rewarded at one contest, then killed a week later.

I've seen a few drummies turned in and a very few wings. Sliced breast meat hits the table occasionally, also. A team that I used to cook with turned in Cornish hind quarters for a while.

...and does crispy chicken thigh skin exist...

Not really. It's better to try for "bite through" skin rather than crispy.

If the thigh skin is crispy, then it is also most likely to be shriveled up like a potato chip.

Ideally whatever piece of the bird you use you want the skin to be as unnoticed as possible.

As a judge, I've seen MOSTLY thighs with the bone, but occasionally I see drums, leg quarters, thighs without the bone, sliced breast, and the RARE pulled chicken.

I think crispy skin is a myth. It may have been crispy going in the box, but after ten minutes of steaming inside a closed clamshell it's going to have lost a considerable amount of its original charm.

I've seen teams use drums and be rewarded at one contest, then killed a week later.

^^^^+1^^^^
I agree with Alexa

I've seen thigh and wing combos do well one week and not well the following

Back