Yardbird & msg

H

highestgrade

I'm concerned about using plowboys yardbird rub because of the msg content. Anyone got a similar recipe? May not be as good but we could do without the msg.

Last 5 lb bag I bought (last fall) was MSG free. Noticed no change in taste before or after cook.

I'm concerned about using plowboys yardbird rub because of the msg content. Anyone got a similar recipe? May not be as good but we could do without the msg.

Out of curiosity, what is your concern with MSG?

Yardbird is MSG free, and has been for almost a year. And still rocking the BBQ Circuit. Been nailing calls with it, without a hitch.

alot of ppl get upset stomachs after eating msg....I do also...so I don't want to use a rub that'll get me sick. MSG free....I got to get me a 5lb bag....

alot of ppl get upset stomachs after eating msg....I do also...so I don't want to use a rub that'll get me sick. MSG free....I got to get me a 5lb bag....

Be advised that also need to steer clear of powdered milk, low fat milk products (1% & 2% milk), cheese (especially Parmesan), hot dogs, baked goods, anything with soy protein, ripe tomatoes, mushrooms, most all fast food places, anywhere french fries are served, Caesar salads, soy sauce, canned food, diet soft drinks, and anything else containing the artificial sweetener Aspartame (ie: chewing gum, children's meds, quick dissolve meds, and chewable vitamins).

All of the above, and many other natural foods, contain glutamate. Just want you know what's out there that could make you sick. Best of luck.

I was cleaning our pantry out and found an old MSG Yardbird almost full, and it was even one of the old batches that looked more pink than orange. Some how it was placed in the baking side of the pantry which I never look at.

Any one remember what year the GAB was at the Woodlands and there was that crazy storm for like 20 minutes? I think Todd gave me that shaker then.

Now should I use it?

I was cleaning our pantry out and found an old MSG Yardbird almost full, and it was even one of the old batches that looked more pink than orange. Some how it was placed in the baking side of the pantry which I never look at.

Any one remember what year the GAB was at the Woodlands and there was that crazy storm for like 20 minutes? I think Todd gave me that shaker then.

Now should I use it?

Dude, that was 2007. The year we introduced it and it won 1st in Hot Rub and 2nd in Mild Rub. Andy used it and won 1st in Chicken. What a great weekend that was.

Be advised that also need to steer clear of powdered milk, low fat milk products (1% & 2% milk), cheese (especially Parmesan), hot dogs, baked goods, anything with soy protein, ripe tomatoes, mushrooms, most all fast food places, anywhere french fries are served, Caesar salads, soy sauce, canned food, diet soft drinks, and anything else containing the artificial sweetener Aspartame (ie: chewing gum, children's meds, quick dissolve meds, and chewable vitamins).

All of the above, and many other natural foods, contain glutamate. Just want you know what's out there that could make you sick. Best of luck.

+1.... Bredrin, nowadays msg is everywhere. if it hurts your stomach that much its probably time to change where you eat. More than likely its the chef, not the msg.

Cheers

When I learned that Doritos and Campbells chicken noodle soup had msg I decided not to fight it any longer.

MSG is a natural byproduct of fermentation. While not labeled as an additive since it is a natural result of the production process, you can expect to find it in beer and bread. I read of at least one factory extracting MSG from the waste product of brewers. If you have a sensitivity, you should be avoiding beer also. Definitely avoid unfiltered microbrews as they should be especially high in MSG. :thumb:

If you have a sensitivity, you should be avoiding beer also. Definitely avoid unfiltered microbrews as they should be especially high in MSG. :thumb:

I knew there was a reason it is SO good :becky:

Back